Le Guanahani completes redo

andynap

Senior Insider
[h=1]St. Barts luxury hotel completes four-year redo[/h]By Gay Nagle Myers / January 15, 2015

Le Guanahani, a St. Barts hotel formerly known as the Hotel Guanahani & Spa, completed its four-year, $40 million renovation of the property's layout, interiors, exteriors and overall design.
The boutique property's new look features 67 colorful West Indian-style guest cottages, including 36 suites. Le Guanahani also has a redesigned lobby, the Spa by Clarins, two signature restaurants, two private beaches and a variety of programs for adults and families that highlight wellness and fitness.
Le Guanahani is set on a private 18-acre peninsula and is a protected nature reserve with hiking paths that weave throughout the property. It recently became a member of the Green Globe Certification Program for its sustainability efforts.
Winter rates begin at $1,118 per room, per night, double.

More From Hotels
Related

Sorry but how can they say they have "two private beaches"? I thought French law ensures that all beaches are public? They are referring to Marechal and Gros Sable?

I had the same reaction . . . I think they're "private" only insofar as the hotel makes access to them difficult.

Both have marked access points for the public. They are privately maintained however. The dreaded rake!

. . . and, I wouldn't be surprised if they are "privately" maintained by the Guanahani, which is mindful, I believe, of its responsibility in affording access to the public.

Sorry but how can they say they have "two private beaches"? I thought French law ensures that all beaches are public? They are referring to Marechal and Gros Sable?

We've been thru this before but I believe what you're referring to is the first 10 meters of the littoral. There is not necessarily a guaranteed practicable access to that 10 meters unless from the contiguous strip of coastline or from seaward I don't believe. Maybe the locals could give more precision.

In theory, there are no private beaches in France, thus not in Saint Barth...they have to allow public access.. they can however ask you not to sit on their furniture... and they do not have to provide parking... Le Guanahani makes it pretty hard to wander onto their beach if you are not staying there but they really can't advertise it as private (if you ask me...)

Right next to reception there is a sign, just like the one next to Nikki, that points the way to public access.

Here's a shot of the path down to Maréchal that Diana posted a few years ago.

image.jpg

for what it's worth, on our first trip to SBH in April of 2009, we stayed at Le Sereno hotel and had no problems walking around the western end of Grand Cul-de-Sac to enjoy the beach in front of the Guanahani hotel. the staff were very friendly and actually offered us the use of their water toys, transats and even drinks. we told them we were staying at Le Sereno, and they said "no problem". maybe they have / had an agreement with Le Sereno at the time, i don't know.

in July 2013, we stayed in a villa on the Marigot side of the hotel that abuts the southern edge of the Guanahani property. again, no problems accessing the beach.

Been there since 1991. The sign that is. Probably a condition of the original opening in 1989.