Flu Vaccine not very effective

andynap

Senior Insider
Holding my breath and washing my hands a lot

[h=5]MIKE STOBBE, The Associated Press[/h]
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015, 1:01 PM NEW YORK (AP) - As predicted, this year's flu vaccine is doing a pretty crummy job. Health officials say a new study shows it's only 23 percent effective.
That's one of the worst performances since the government started tracking how well vaccines work a decade ago. The best flu vaccines were 50 to 60 percent effective.
But this year, the vaccine doesn't include the specific virus that is making most people sick. Early in the season, officials warned the vaccine probably would not work very well.
The study results were released Thursday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. They studied about 2,300 people in five states who were sick.

___
Online:
CDC report: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr

We have a friend who is a nurse and the staff has been given another flu shot for the missing types.

I don't want to be too quick to agree with the study . . . but, I'll say that the shot didn't seem to help me!

Well so far from what I can see in the two schools I work in....it's been a mild flu season and even the kids who get it aren't out for as many days as usually occurs with this......

the shots are still worth getting ......it certainly can't hurt

Tom is now working in a Hospital, and was required to get the vaccine.....didn't keep him (and then me) from getting it over the holidays! In fact, almost everyone in my family got it. Not so fun :(

Our area schools have been hit pretty hard. Not just the students, of which there have been many, but also staff. So much so that we're running short on substitutes, average of 2-3 per day over 7 buildings. Not fun.

There are no viruses in Mikers school.

I never said that!!!

I have two players out for tonight...

I said its not too bad yet here.....and the kids seem to come back a little quicker than usual with whats around..

we ll get it...we always do....

I love when I bend down to tie a wee lads shoes in school and the wee lad blows a big ol wet sneeze on me...thats always special

Our son did not have the shot and boy was he sick- 102 degree temp and lost a lot of fluid. We were border line on a doctor visit but with a lot of fever reducers- aspirin and acetaminophen he cooled down. He is fine once again.

I get a Flu shot almost every year, I got a pneumonia shot in '03 & '13. I haven't had the flu in years and I usually get a cold that may go to my chest each year but rarely a full blown upper respiratory crash. Now Karen on the otherhand won't get a flu or pneumonia shot because she claims they use mercury in them and it's bad news. Each year somewhere around the holidays or soon there after she comes down with a full blown cold that turns into an upper respiratory infection which this year started with 4 days of flu symptoms and missed all of last week at work (elementary school). So when I left BeanTown to head west after sharing the same bed I kissed her on the forehead and I was still healthy and am enjoying the sunny southwest. She says she might consider the pneumonia shot when she gets well. We'll keep you posted on that one, I'm not holding my breath :tongue: