Google adds Word Lens technology to Translate app

JEK

Senior Insider
Google adds Word Lens technology to Translate app

Summary:Google has added Word Lens, a technology acquired last year, to its Google Translate app. The addition brings Google closer to its universal translator ambitions.

By Larry Dignan for Between the Lines | January 14, 2015 -- 15:40 GMT (07:40 PST)
Get the ZDNet Mobility & Telecoms newsletter now

Google on Wednesday said that it has updated its Google Translate app to include Word Lens, a technology acquired last year that can read signs in various language and translate them to and from English.

word-lens.png

The Word Lens capabilities will be added to Android with some features coming to Apple's iOS platform for the first time. Google acquired Quest Visual, the company that created Word Lens, last year. For Google, the acquisition gave the search giant technology it could use throughout its platform.
Instant translation could be a handy perk for business travelers. With the Translate app update, you point your camera at a sign or text and you'll see the translation overlaid on the screen.
So far the instant translation feature works in English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish. Google said other languages are on deck.
In addition, Google made its real-time conversation engine faster so translations can be delivered faster. Google's goal is to turn the phone into a universal translator.
It's a safe bet that Word Lens will be integrated throughout Google properties with the real win being wearable computing initiatives such as Google Glass.

We got this app for free when it was initially offered (I think they charge for it now.) Worked great in Spain last summer...but you have to make sure you're holding the phone really still. And there was no service for Catalan. :)

I think they became free after Google bought them. The app is still available as World Lens in iTunes.

I don't think you could snap a pic with the first versionof Word Lens, but you can now. Great improvement.
Just downloaded Google Translate. Can't wait until I need it :)