Thought we'd never get there!

Pool Man Bob

SBH Member
The start to our 21st trip to St. Barts was all about the snow storm on Thanksgiving Eve that threatened flights of the Northeast. Despite the 5 inches of white stuff in our area, Newark was clear and we off right on schedule. We even arrived on St. Barts an hour early. After picking up our car, we were guided up to our villa in Vitet by Wimco. What a spot! Villa MEM was beautiful with great views of Grande Fond. This is the first time we had a view to the east and no complaints. We had a nice breeze all week which may have had something to do with the lack of flying insects. I'm sure the spraying of the property didn't hurt.

A few things come to mind about this trip.

Seaweed! Worse than I expected even after seeing several posts prior to the trip. Saline was a mess. Flammands was a bit better, but we stayed out of the water. St. Jean was better for sure with Lorient being the best beach during our stay. But it was strange to be on the island and spend so little time at the beach.

Weather! Just great most of the time. Not too hot or humid, beautiful evenings, nice soft breezes. The occasional showers did no harm.

Great Food! Hit many of our favorites - Eddy's, Andy's, Cote Port, Do Brazil, Sante Fe. Made the mistake of going to Le Plage for lunch. Too many people trying to be seen. Fair food, bad service, high prices. Tried L' Esprit for lunch, which was terrific. Great staff! Even stopped for sandwiches at Le Gustav, which were great!

The island was busy into the Thanksgiving weekend but was much quieter the following week, which was much appreciated. All in all, another great trip to a very special place.

Final note: Getting out was interesting. The airport was shut down due to bad storms and we missed our connection to Newark. Wimco was a great and helped us get a flight on JetBlue, but we had to fly from from St Maarten to San Juan to JFK. So our trip was twice as long and cost us a few extra bucks. But that didn't put a damper on the great time we had.

Thanks for your report. Glad you made it home without too much trouble. I especially appreciated your comments about the restos.

I stayed at Villa MEM right after you!
I am going to write up a full report this week!

Was the TV and Wifi working on the bedroom levels when you were there?

How's the cat? Wifi didn't reach the bedrooms and we only used the TV in the living room. Nice house with a great view, occasional goat hanging out by the pool, which was also great! IMG_1292.jpg

Ugh! on the seaweed. We are going in early February and hopefully it will have gone bye bye by then! That picture we saw on the Forum earlier of the seaweed at Le Taiwana looked downright awful. For the long timers- does the seaweed eventually disappear or might it be around for the long haul as we don't remember this much in years passed?

I just returned from a 12/6 - 12/16 trip. It was amazing as usual, but I have to second the comments about the seaweed. I usually go around the same time each year and have never seen it like this. Not sure what it is like other parts of the year, but for early to mid December, this is the worst I've seen it. Others on the island at the same time made comments as well.

Is there a time of winter when the seaweed is supposed to be bad?