2 Dinners in NY

I had dinner here a few nights ago and it was really good its not the kind of place you need to reserve 30 days in advance so that might turn a few people off :cool: but I highly recommend this place if you want great food in a really cool casual setting.

http://www.carrollplacenyc.com/

Looks good......going to NYC in March as Lena has won a scholarship to spend a half day with an acting coach, but I suspect few if any in this here forum will have much interest in my lunch and dinner choices ...as usual they will be off the beaten path joints that locals frequent......

Mike the place was packed and if you look at the prices you would never think you're in NY...I will def go back because for me 90% of the time I take the boat because all my friends are downtown and this place is right in the hood. I am not a wine drinker but those folks would be in heaven

Where that resto is, was my hang out hood when I was much younger ..bleeker street and Washington square area....

Looks good......going to NYC in March as Lena has won a scholarship to spend a half day with an acting coach, but I suspect few if any in this here forum will have much interest in my lunch and dinner choices ...as usual they will be off the beaten path joints that locals frequent......

I'm sure those of us who own homes in Manhattan would be interested in learning about these restos that are "off the beaten path"

you re a big boy,,,you can figure it out on your own I'm sure.....

but Robertas in Brooklyn will be visited for certain .....chef is the son of a good P Town friend of mine and I promised I would go visit ....

Other then that.....not living there or even being a regular visitor anymore, I ll just go where my family and friends tell me to go....as they re on top of what's good and off the radar...they never steer me wrong

Are you doing a class theater trip this year, Mike?

No its DC this year..NYC next year and then I am done and someone else can run with it.....just putting the finishing touches on the DC trip now

once I retire next year I may set up a school trip consultant business just for giggles to see if I can make a few bucks

No its DC this year..NYC next year and then I am done and someone else can run with it.....just putting the finishing touches on the DC trip now

once I retire next year I may set up a school trip consultant business just for giggles to see if I can make a few bucks

Bottom Line, here you come!

Katva- Save room for dessert at NoMad- either Milk and Honey or Milk Chocolate! The Pear Salad with Daikon is also divine! The restaurant is fabulous and they have wonderful wines as well!

I reviewed my dinner on FB, and forgot to review it on here! My dinner at NoMad was the WORST meal I've ever had in NY, or possibly anywhere. I order an appetizer of radishes with butter and salt. Bad idea---was like a greasy salty radish, no better. My main was their special chicken----apparently what they are "known" for (notoriously??) I normally don't order chicken, but it sounded good. The taste is hard to describe, but I'll never forget it. In fact, it was so bad that I don't remember the dessert I ordered! A major fail. The wine, however, was very good, thank God! :cool: The service and atmosphere were also outstanding, but not worth it. Ever again. The best meal I had that trip was a Pizza Verde from a place next to Gramercy Tavern (which was packed, so I couldn't get in). Best pizza ever!
pizzaverde.jpg

We were in NYC just after you, KV. We had a foodie showoff dinner at Juni. The chef, Shaun Hergatt, showed off with no less than 8 amuses displaying the range of his skills and imagination including his versatility with all the techniques of molecular gastronomy. This was followed by four courses of equal brilliance. Here is the rabbit dish, I had.

20141220_213244.jpg

The food and service were impeccable but the feng shui of the room badly needs an equally skilled hand. This place should be on any foodie tour of NYC.

I knew your meal was terrible Kathy, felt bad about the recommendation. We had a drink there on our recent trip but no food.

Since others are chiming in, I'll report that we had an amazing lunch at Del Posto. Great barrel-aged Negronis to start, wonderful wine, excellent food with lots of amuses, etc. Dessert was fab. This little box of treats came at the end.

rsz_img_0471.jpg rsz_img_0472.jpg

The rest of our meals were more low key places near our hotel in the Lower East Side. But I do want to mention two places we loved.
Shopsins, in the Essex Street Market, for an amazing and crazy breakfast. If you don't know anything about Kenny Shopsin, suffice it to say he's the Soup Nazi of diners. Its a tiny place with a HUGE menu, very fun.

rsz_img_0485.jpg Shopsin 1.jpg Shopsin 2.jpg

We also had a great dinner at Pig and Khao. I like to patronize women chefs when possible and Leah Cohen was on Top Chef. Interesting and tasty Southeast Asian food. Just got 2 stars from the NYT. Sorry no pics.

Both days we had coffee at Roasting Plant. AMAZING!

rsz_img_0532.jpg

MB---I in NO way blame you!!! :), and it's good I was on my own, so no one else had to experience that. LOL!!! Let's just say I took one for the team :cool:

I was so tired my second night in NY, I didn't make it over to Del Posto, very unfortunately. Instead, I went across the street from my hotel to Les Halles, and had a quite good, if predictable, steak frittes. I figured I needed a sure thing....lol. Next time, Del Posto for sure!

Josh---that looks so interesting! My sister is getting into molecular cuisine----there's a place she is taking her husband to for a special birthday. Someplace famous....I think it's in Chicago. I'll have to get the name! Tom would never forgive me if I took him to dinner at a restaurant that had foam on the menu again. Tried it once.....Ha!