Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2 Dinners in NY

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 4,769

2 Dinners in NY

I'm headed back to NY for several days in mid- December. I have a ton of shopping to do for a client, and I so wish I could bring Andrew with me again! But he has finals, SAT & ACT tests..... So I'm on my own. I will be in town December 17-19, and am thinking about dinner reservations. I know it's late..... Was hoping to get into Eleven Madison Park, but no way. Should I chance it and go to the bar there? My hotel is very nearby. Any suggestions? Del Posto is booked. Wanting good food and comfortable for a party of one :)

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,673
    You can try the bar at Del Posto, but I don't think that will work at Eleven Madison. Also, we've had to take the 5:30 table at Del Posto -- service is great!
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

• Eleven Madison Park takes reservations 28 days out beginning at 9 am. If you are looking for a reservation within 28 days from now, there are currently no tables available at the time you have chosen. Eleven Madison Park manages an active waitlist by phone.

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2005 Annapolis Posts: 4,106
    We'll be in NYC for the weekend of the 19th. We'll just miss you, Kathy. Juni restaurant is where we are eating one night. It's close to EMP.

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Alexandria, VA Posts: 5,262
    I've never been to the main restaurant or the lounge................someday,...... but check this out if you like seafood.

http://le-bernardin.com/lounge/ Seating is on a walk-in basis

You might be able to hook up with your island buddy, Eric Ripert too!

SBH Insider Joined: May 2004 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 3,290
    Hi Kathy,
    We had a wonderful brunch at the NoMad Hotel, which is a Danny Meyer's place. The food and service are phenomenal. Randy loved his cocktail, so we asked to see the menu again to see what was in it. Instead they brought us a card with the hand written recipe :) The dining rooms (there are several) are small and it would be a nice place to dine solo. I would definitely go back for dinner. Its in Chelsea.

http://www.thenomadhotel.com/#!/dining/menus/dinner

Have fun!!

mb

Thanks for all the suggestions! Josh, we will be passing ships! I'm just missing Ellen as well....I was able to get a reservation at Lupa, a charming Italian restaurant I ate at a couple of years ago with a great friend (who unfortunately will be out of town this trip). BUT, the bar at Del Posto sounds like a winner, and I've always wanted to go. I think I'll choose that for my Italian meal this trip. And, Marybeth---the NoMad sounds perfect! I was able to reserve a table there (early) for my other night, but the bar/lounge areas look really great for a solo diner. Plus, it's very near to my hotel! I'll call them and take their advice (they don't accept reservations except for the "main dining room", and I'm not sure which one that is! Bart---thanks for that suggestion---that sounds good too, but I'm thinking another trip. I don't plan to be in that part of town this time.....staying and working more downtown this time, and after running around all day, was thinking something a little closer to home base

One other note, for general FYI: I went to the bar area (we walked in) of EMP with Jeanette & Dennis-----a day or 2 after having dinner there (proper) with my NY friend-----that dinner was amazing, and then the bar experience, while certainly not bad, was so disappointing food-wise (especially for the $$$!!!). Just not the same thing at all. It was super crowded when we went, and I just wasn't sure if anyone else had a great experience at their bar, food wise. I'm hoping the bar-dinner experience at del Posto will be different!

Another note, for anyone considering the NoMad for dinner---I just called to get their advice about which space would be best for a solo diner, and they said that the "Main Dining Room" (the only space you can reserve a table), is several different spaces. They recommended either the Atrium or the Fireplace room for me, and were very accommodating and nice! They set aside a table for me in the Fireplace room :)
    The-NoMad-Fireplace-Benoit-Linero.jpg

Nice! I think you'll like it very much. Have a great trip.

SBH Member Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 25
    If you have the time, you could also try the walk in/bar/solo routine at Per Se. The menu selections are really good and have more or less the same size of the tasting dishes, so you can create your own little tasting evening. I did it a couple of times and was really pampered on the last one, to the point I was able to enjoy a few breakfasts on the park, courtesy of all the chocolates, sweets, bread and cookies they packed up for me.

Thanks M! Another great idea! If I have time, I might do that for lunch on Friday if I get all of my work done :)

Kathy,
    Turns out we're going to be more interested than before about your dining experiences...as we just booked a trip for late December for the PSU bowl game. Staying in the LES this time, but will travel anywhere for good food!
    I'll be awaiting your report

mb

You got it, MB! Full report to follow ! :)

Woo Hoo! Just scored Del Posto for Friday lunch. This has been on our list for years, but we usually don't get into the city until too late.

For those who use Open Table, this is one of those examples where, even though OT shows no availability, a phone call to the restaurant will get you a table.

You are in for a treat! Go very hungry and get the wine pairings!

Quote Originally Posted by marybeth View Post
    Woo Hoo! Just scored Del Posto for Friday lunch. This has been on our list for years, but we usually don't get into the city until too late.

For those who use Open Table, this is one of those examples where, even though OT shows no availability, a phone call to the restaurant will get you a table.
    Yay!!! I did call as well, but no such luck. I could have gotten a lunch rez, but I'm on the clock with work, and can't break for a long lunch---- I did get a table at one of the JGV restos in ABC though :) I'm also looking forward to whatever happens to turn out at del Posto at the bar

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,607
    Quote Originally Posted by marybeth View Post

I always call the restaurant after not getting my seating at OT. Almost always the time I wanted is available.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by andynap View Post
    I always call the restaurant after not getting my seating at OT. Almost always the time I wanted is available.
    We've been learning from the best :)

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    You are in for a treat! Go very hungry and get the wine pairings!
    Thanks! We'll be sure to skip breakfast. I love wine tastings for lunch...followed by shopping.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2002 Highlands NJ Posts: 6,822
    I had dinner here a few nights ago and it was really good its not the kind of place you need to reserve 30 days in advance so that might turn a few people off but I highly recommend this place if you want great food in a really cool casual setting.

http://www.carrollplacenyc.com/
    The last of the famous international playboys

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003
    Looks good......going to NYC in March as Lena has won a scholarship to spend a half day with an acting coach, but I suspect few if any in this here forum will have much interest in my lunch and dinner choices ...as usual they will be off the beaten path joints that locals frequent......
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2002 Highlands NJ Posts: 6,822
    Mike the place was packed and if you look at the prices you would never think you're in NY...I will def go back because for me 90% of the time I take the boat because all my friends are downtown and this place is right in the hood. I am not a wine drinker but those folks would be in heaven
    The last of the famous international playboys

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003
    Where that resto is, was my hang out hood when I was much younger ..bleeker street and Washington square area....
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2006 Naples, FL Posts: 2,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
    Looks good......going to NYC in March as Lena has won a scholarship to spend a half day with an acting coach, but I suspect few if any in this here forum will have much interest in my lunch and dinner choices ...as usual they will be off the beaten path joints that locals frequent......
    I'm sure those of us who own homes in Manhattan would be interested in learning about these restos that are "off the beaten path"

you re a big boy,,,you can figure it out on your own I'm sure.....

but Robertas in Brooklyn will be visited for certain .....chef is the son of a good P Town friend of mine and I promised I would go visit ....

Other then that.....not living there or even being a regular visitor anymore, I ll just go where my family and friends tell me to go....as they re on top of what's good and off the radar...they never steer me wrong

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 25,400
    Are you doing a class theater trip this year, Mike?
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    Are you doing a class theater trip this year, Mike?

No its DC this year..NYC next year and then I am done and someone else can run with it.....just putting the finishing touches on the DC trip now

once I retire next year I may set up a school trip consultant business just for giggles to see if I can make a few bucks

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2010 New England Posts: 4,296
    Looks great, Peter!

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2010 New England Posts: 4,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
    No its DC this year..NYC next year and then I am done and someone else can run with it.....just putting the finishing touches on the DC trip now

once I retire next year I may set up a school trip consultant business just for giggles to see if I can make a few bucks
    Bottom Line, here you come!