2 Dinners in NY

katva

Senior Insider
I'm headed back to NY for several days in mid- December. I have a ton of shopping to do for a client, and I so wish I could bring Andrew with me again! But he has finals, SAT & ACT tests..... So I'm on my own. I will be in town December 17-19, and am thinking about dinner reservations. I know it's late..... Was hoping to get into Eleven Madison Park, but no way. Should I chance it and go to the bar there? My hotel is very nearby. Any suggestions? Del Posto is booked. Wanting good food :cool: and comfortable for a party of one :)

You can try the bar at Del Posto, but I don't think that will work at Eleven Madison. Also, we've had to take the 5:30 table at Del Posto -- service is great!

• Eleven Madison Park takes reservations 28 days out beginning at 9 am. If you are looking for a reservation within 28 days from now, there are currently no tables available at the time you have chosen. Eleven Madison Park manages an active waitlist by phone.

We'll be in NYC for the weekend of the 19th. We'll just miss you, Kathy. Juni restaurant is where we are eating one night. It's close to EMP.

Hi Kathy,
We had a wonderful brunch at the NoMad Hotel, which is a Danny Meyer's place. The food and service are phenomenal. Randy loved his cocktail, so we asked to see the menu again to see what was in it. Instead they brought us a card with the hand written recipe :) The dining rooms (there are several) are small and it would be a nice place to dine solo. I would definitely go back for dinner. Its in Chelsea.

http://www.thenomadhotel.com/#!/dining/menus/dinner

Have fun!!

mb

Thanks for all the suggestions! Josh, we will be passing ships! I'm just missing Ellen as well....I was able to get a reservation at Lupa, a charming Italian restaurant I ate at a couple of years ago with a great friend (who unfortunately will be out of town this trip). BUT, the bar at Del Posto sounds like a winner, and I've always wanted to go. I think I'll choose that for my Italian meal this trip. And, Marybeth---the NoMad sounds perfect! I was able to reserve a table there (early) for my other night, but the bar/lounge areas look really great for a solo diner. Plus, it's very near to my hotel! I'll call them and take their advice (they don't accept reservations except for the "main dining room", and I'm not sure which one that is! Bart---thanks for that suggestion---that sounds good too, but I'm thinking another trip. I don't plan to be in that part of town this time.....staying and working more downtown this time, and after running around all day, was thinking something a little closer to home base:cool:

One other note, for general FYI: I went to the bar area (we walked in) of EMP with Jeanette & Dennis-----a day or 2 after having dinner there (proper) with my NY friend-----that dinner was amazing, and then the bar experience, while certainly not bad, was so disappointing food-wise (especially for the $$$!!!). Just not the same thing at all. It was super crowded when we went, and I just wasn't sure if anyone else had a great experience at their bar, food wise. I'm hoping the bar-dinner experience at del Posto will be different!

Another note, for anyone considering the NoMad for dinner---I just called to get their advice about which space would be best for a solo diner, and they said that the "Main Dining Room" (the only space you can reserve a table), is several different spaces. They recommended either the Atrium or the Fireplace room for me, and were very accommodating and nice! They set aside a table for me in the Fireplace room :)
The-NoMad-Fireplace-Benoit-Linero.jpg

If you have the time, you could also try the walk in/bar/solo routine at Per Se. The menu selections are really good and have more or less the same size of the tasting dishes, so you can create your own little tasting evening. I did it a couple of times and was really pampered on the last one, to the point I was able to enjoy a few breakfasts on the park, courtesy of all the chocolates, sweets, bread and cookies they packed up for me.

Thanks M! Another great idea! If I have time, I might do that for lunch on Friday if I get all of my work done :)

Kathy,
Turns out we're going to be more interested than before about your dining experiences...as we just booked a trip for late December for the PSU bowl game. Staying in the LES this time, but will travel anywhere for good food!
I'll be awaiting your report :D

mb

Woo Hoo! Just scored Del Posto for Friday lunch. This has been on our list for years, but we usually don't get into the city until too late.

For those who use Open Table, this is one of those examples where, even though OT shows no availability, a phone call to the restaurant will get you a table.

Woo Hoo! Just scored Del Posto for Friday lunch. This has been on our list for years, but we usually don't get into the city until too late.

For those who use Open Table, this is one of those examples where, even though OT shows no availability, a phone call to the restaurant will get you a table.
Yay!!! I did call as well, but no such luck. I could have gotten a lunch rez, but I'm on the clock with work, and can't break for a long lunch---- I did get a table at one of the JGV restos in ABC though :) I'm also looking forward to whatever happens to turn out at del Posto at the bar:up:

I always call the restaurant after not getting my seating at OT. Almost always the time I wanted is available.