Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2 Dinners in NY

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003
    Yep
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 7,953
    Katva- Save room for dessert at NoMad- either Milk and Honey or Milk Chocolate! The Pear Salad with Daikon is also divine! The restaurant is fabulous and they have wonderful wines as well!

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 4,769
    I reviewed my dinner on FB, and forgot to review it on here! My dinner at NoMad was the WORST meal I've ever had in NY, or possibly anywhere. I order an appetizer of radishes with butter and salt. Bad idea---was like a greasy salty radish, no better. My main was their special chicken----apparently what they are "known" for (notoriously??) I normally don't order chicken, but it sounded good. The taste is hard to describe, but I'll never forget it. In fact, it was so bad that I don't remember the dessert I ordered! A major fail. The wine, however, was very good, thank God! The service and atmosphere were also outstanding, but not worth it. Ever again. The best meal I had that trip was a Pizza Verde from a place next to Gramercy Tavern (which was packed, so I couldn't get in). Best pizza ever!
    pizzaverde.jpg
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room :)

It was at Trattoria Il Mulino

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2005 Annapolis Posts: 4,106
    We were in NYC just after you, KV. We had a foodie showoff dinner at Juni. The chef, Shaun Hergatt, showed off with no less than 8 amuses displaying the range of his skills and imagination including his versatility with all the techniques of molecular gastronomy. This was followed by four courses of equal brilliance. Here is the rabbit dish, I had.

The food and service were impeccable but the feng shui of the room badly needs an equally skilled hand. This place should be on any foodie tour of NYC.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2004 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 3,271
    I knew your meal was terrible Kathy, felt bad about the recommendation. We had a drink there on our recent trip but no food.

Since others are chiming in, I'll report that we had an amazing lunch at Del Posto. Great barrel-aged Negronis to start, wonderful wine, excellent food with lots of amuses, etc. Dessert was fab. This little box of treats came at the end.

rsz_img_0471.jpg rsz_img_0472.jpg

The rest of our meals were more low key places near our hotel in the Lower East Side. But I do want to mention two places we loved.
    Shopsins, in the Essex Street Market, for an amazing and crazy breakfast. If you don't know anything about Kenny Shopsin, suffice it to say he's the Soup Nazi of diners. Its a tiny place with a HUGE menu, very fun.

rsz_img_0485.jpg Shopsin 1.jpg Shopsin 2.jpg

We also had a great dinner at Pig and Khao. I like to patronize women chefs when possible and Leah Cohen was on Top Chef. Interesting and tasty Southeast Asian food. Just got 2 stars from the NYT. Sorry no pics.

Both days we had coffee at Roasting Plant. AMAZING!

rsz_img_0532.jpg

MB---I in NO way blame you!!! :), and it's good I was on my own, so no one else had to experience that. LOL!!! Let's just say I took one for the team

I was so tired my second night in NY, I didn't make it over to Del Posto, very unfortunately. Instead, I went across the street from my hotel to Les Halles, and had a quite good, if predictable, steak frittes. I figured I needed a sure thing....lol. Next time, Del Posto for sure!

Josh---that looks so interesting! My sister is getting into molecular cuisine----there's a place she is taking her husband to for a special birthday. Someplace famous....I think it's in Chicago. I'll have to get the name! Tom would never forgive me if I took him to dinner at a restaurant that had foam on the menu again. Tried it once.....Ha!

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 52,003
    I m with Tom

molecular cuisine??????

please.....spare me .....
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2002 Highlands NJ Posts: 6,822
    Is Les Halles Bourdains place?
    The last of the famous international playboys

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2005 Annapolis Posts: 4,106
    Chicago foodie place may be Alinea.

Peter, yes, it is (or was, not sure if he's still owner). It was very loud, and I got the full scoop on the guy trying to impress his date at the next table. Poor girl.

Josh, yes, that's it! My sister got the new book for her husband for Christmas. She said it's not really a cookbook (it states that in the book----unless you are really crazy, do not attempt at home!), but a fantastic coffee table picture book. She's saving up her allowance to go

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Nantucket - St. Barth's Posts: 1,086
    Quote Originally Posted by katva View Post
    Peter, yes, it is (or was, not sure if he's still owner). It was very loud, and I got the full scoop on the guy trying to impress his date at the next table. Poor girl.

Josh, yes, that's it! My sister got the new book for her husband for Christmas. She said it's not really a cookbook (it states that in the book----unless you are really crazy, do not attempt at home!), but a fantastic coffee table picture book. She's saving up her allowance to go
    Kathy,

I thought you might be referring to NEXT Bistro. kr
    "Like" Us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/nantucketcatering

Quote Originally Posted by Reed View Post
    Kathy,

I thought you might be referring to NEXT Bistro. kr
    Confirmed Alinea! The book is amazing, There's a description of Truffle Explosion that is to die for. This Wagyu, squash, yogurt and smoked paprika taffy is one of too many that I would happily try! I've noticed that so far in my perusing, the meats are cooked en sous vide.
    AlineaBook.JPG
    AlineaWagyu.JPG

And, on another related note, my bro-in-law made Anthony Bourdain's beef stock last weekend, and will be whipping up his totally amazing beef stew for us tomorrow night. The stock takes him 24 hours to make. He's quite the cook, and has a serious man-crush on Bourdain Being in the frozen tundra of Michigan this long weekend has quite a few advantages!

Quote Originally Posted by katva View Post
    And, on another related note, my bro-in-law made Anthony Bourdain's beef stock last weekend, and will be whipping up his totally amazing beef stew for us tomorrow night. The stock takes him 24 hours to make. He's quite the cook, and has a serious man-crush on Bourdain Being in the frozen tundra of Michigan this long weekend has quite a few advantages!

I make it the Bourdain way too and and then I put it in ice cube trays for future use.....

I'm doing stew this Sunday as well but I m doing a blanquette de veau

Quote Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
    I make it the Bourdain way too and and then I put it in ice cube trays for future use.....
    Yep, he has it in ice cube trays as well! Can't wait!

SBH Member Joined: Feb 2015 Posts: 13
    katva! Let me tell you some names of the most famous hotels in New York:
    The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park
    Mandarin Oriental, New York
    the Quin
    WestHouse Hotel New York
    The Pierre, A Taj Hotel, New York
    Gramercy Park Hotel
    The Surrey