Tipping a Private Chef at our villa---help?

jbm595

SBH Member
Hi all,
Tricky question--per the forums suggestion we are having a private chef (wife and husband team) cooking dinner for us tonight at our villa. I have a tendency to over tip. Do we do 15%? They charge by the hour and are providing wine, a vegetarian meal, gluten free meal and the two carnivore meals for the 4 of us tonight.

I want to make sure before the dinner is over I have an idea of what is suggested even if it is at my discretion.

Thanks in advance-loved loved all the restaurant and bar recommendations. Bro and girlfriend are loving their first trip to St Barths!

Thanks so much Phil. I love the restaurant recommendations you and Amy give. We are doing the Le Gaiac brunch with the family tomorrow.
I always tip 15% for great service here but wonder if that is a bit too much already. But they did the shopping and came to our villa....so I never know..

I would say that 15% is too much.

In this regard, after I had enjoyed a particularly memorable evening during a recent visit to SBH, I suggested to a restaurant owner -- a good friend -- that he add a 15% tip for the staff. He looked at me like I was crazy and then counseled me, in discreet language, that it would be gauche to do so. His advice was that tipping is unnecessary, but that if I wanted to show appreciation, 5% is thought by staff to be a good tip . . . 10% to be an especially good tip.