Le Tamarin Reopens 11/25

KevinS

Senior Insider
I usually try to avoid new restaurants for their first few weeks, but I may make an exception and "take one for the team" at Le Tamarin.

image.jpg

From what we saw last week when we stuck our heads in it looks like it is going to be a lovely setting....again thankfully....
they were in the process of planting various palm trees and lush vegetation and they had some interesting ponds along the path.
Just standing there on the property gave us that sense of peace which is what the old Tamarin used to give us....
can't wait to hear reports of the dining experience.

Great to see the welcoming cat statue and the parrot. Bon Chance Tamarin.

The landscaping looks fantastique!

Yes, this is so exciting! We are back on the island and now must attend tomorrow. This was one of my favorite and we are staying in Toiny so this will be nice and close.

Did anyone try it yet? We're going to tomorrow or Thursday for lunch. Looks great...maybe not as cool as the old one though?

We'll probably go on Friday or Monday.

There appeared to be a good-sized crowd there tonight. The parking lot was full, and there were a lot of cars parked on the side of the road.

The new Tamarin is a winner.

The tree survives, the parrot survives, and the venue has been updated. Clients who dined at Le Tamarin in the past will feel at home. The new staff and management team are energetic and effective.

There are three small lily ponds along the walkway leading to the restaurant. The ponds were a concern to me after years of being told to eliminate any source of standing water where mosquitos can breed. I deliberately chose a seat adjacent to one of the ponds. During lunch, I noticed small fish in the pond, which are sometimes used in cisterns as a natural form of mosquito control. I also noticed the presence of a few larger carp, which are known to eat mosquito larvae. Dragonflys, another natural forum of mosquito control, were also present. Some thought has apparently been given to mosquito control, multiple natural control methods have been implemented, and I am no longer concerned by the ponds.

image.jpg

The offering of a pre-meal shot of Tamarin-flavored rum, rather than a post-meal Rhum Vanille was a pleasant surprise.

The lunch menu was a simple one pager, with a nice variety of choices. We chose a Salad Niçoise made with fresh local tuna, and the Grilled Mahi. The Salad Niçoise was well done. There was a good lunch-sized portion of tuna, loads of veggies, and an addition of a black olive tapenade. The Grilled Mahi came with a lemon-butter sauce, which was a nice change from the usual sauce vierge that is usually served with Grilled Mahi on SBH. Pictures will tell the food story better than I can:

image.jpg

image.jpg

For dessert we ordered a Fruit Plate, which was huge, and a Café Gourmand.

I'm cautious about dining in newly-opened restaurants, as it can sometimes take time for the operation to mesh. Tamarin has only been open for a few days, but the team is functioning well. The service was attentive, and the kitchen performed well. We enjoyed the experience enough that we asked to peruse the dinner menu, and have made a reservation for a dinner visit.

Tamarin is open from 11:00 until 24:00, but is closed for dinner on Sundays. In addition to the the lunch and dinner menus they have a snack menu, which is served in the afternoon. The snack menu is limited to a few small plates and a club sandwich.

Based on our experience today, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the new Tamarin.

Looks great and so happy one of the premier spaces on the island for dining didn't become a villa with a great tree in the middle! We've stayed in villas with the fish protection as well - it works!