Calling collect on St Barts

jgcpalmer

SBH Insider
Quick question:

When I'm on St Barts, if I want to call collect, how do I do that? Can I just dial 0 and follow instructions, or is there another way?

Quick question:

When I'm on St Barts, if I want to call collect, how do I do that? Can I just dial 0 and follow instructions, or is there another way?
If you have a smart phone or laptop you can download Skype and for $5 talk for hours or buy a phone card when you get to St Barts for 5 euros and call from your villa phone.

Another, much simpler way is to add a +1 to any number and call on your cell. Costs a couple of bucks, but considering all the other costs of the trip a good investment if you really need to phone home.

+1 aaa nnn nnnn

For my credit cards and travel insurance, there are emergency numbers that I can call collect - if I need it, I'd rather call that way and save myself the money of an expensive long distance call.

We plan on using Skype to do calls from our laptop from the hotel, but my smartphone (an older blackberry) doesn't support it. But for emergencies, I'd like to be able to call collect if need be. Is this a service offered in St Barts?

If Google it you find many suggestion, but i don't know how correct they are. If I'm having an emergency I'd just dial the number.

Yeah, I tried google and no luck. Oh well. I'm sure we can figure things out - and of course hopefully there is no need anyways.

Oh, there are many hits on the topic, just don't know if any of them work. My AmEx has +1 number that does work.

This is what I found on the topic: (The 2nd tip might be useful in this situation)

Step 1Have ready the name, telephone number, area code and country of the person you wish to call. However, be aware that most cell phone providers do not allow collect calls to be made to a cell phone.

Step 2Pick up the phone in whatever country you're in, wait for the dial tone and dial "0170."

Step 3Give the international operator the name, country and number of the person that you wish to call, and you will be connected.

TIP

• Making an international collect call is quite expensive, at least $9 (U.S.) per call. So unless your friends and family are millionaires, you should reserve international collect calls for emergencies.
  • Before you leave the country, call your local telephone companies to ask if they have any international access numbers for making collect calls from the country that you will be visiting. Not all telephone companies will have them, but some will be able to give you a toll-free number that can connect you to a U.S. operator. This may be a cheaper option but requires planning.

Oh well, I'll write it down, and we can give it a try if need be. I just paid for a month's worth of calls using Skype ($3, not bad at all) and so as long as we have wifi and my laptop for the calls, we'll be just fine.

Another tip. 800 calls on Skype are free. I use it all the time here to call the airlines, credit card companies, etc. BTW, make sure you set up a travel notification with your CC company. That can save a lot of embarrassing and awkward moments, and in most cases you can do it on line in a few minutes.

Phil