Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sargassum.

SBH New Member Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 8

Sargassum.

I see the seaweed is quite rampant at Saline and Gouverner. Anyone know of plans to get them cleaned up? Is it still coming in daily or is this leftover from last storm?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,661
    The seaweed was there before the storm and is apparently blanketing the entire Caribbean. Based on your name I guess you joined to ask your question. Welcome!
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

An interesting article on the invasion by friend of the forum Deborah Brosnan.

““Sargassum Summer - THE BROSNAN CENTER ”

http://www.brosnancenter.com/sargassum-summer.html”

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Alexandria, VA Posts: 5,165
    Nice name

I would love to hear that it is gone soon - we're arriving in St Barts in a week at Salines Garden - hoping that Saline will be our go-to beach for the week. :)

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2005 flamands Posts: 4,940
    hardware stores open, they sell rakes, shovels. after raking, dig hole in sand, bury the grass. leave shovel and rake at top of hill for next visitor to use.

SBH New Member Joined: Nov 2014 Posts: 8

sargassum machines

what happened to all those big drivable rakes they bought a few years back?

The COM has them working all the beaches. Post last week about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    The COM has them working all the beaches. Post last week about it.
    I noticed that post - I wondered if maybe they didn't do Saline and Governeur because they are the "undeveloped" beaches.

SBH Member Joined: Jun 2007 USA and Web Posts: 316
    As a bit of good news, today on Saline most of the weeds were on the sand and not in the water like a good soup, which was the case yesterday. At least you can get to water and swim. I will take it. Now, I am taking bets if Saline beach will be cleaned from old(!) Weeds by Christmas.
    Enjoying St Barth since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    As a bit of good news, today on Saline most of the weeds were on the sand and not in the water like a good soup, which was the case yesterday. At least you can get to water and swim. I will take it. Now, I am taking bets if Saline beach will be cleaned from old(!) Weeds by Christmas.
    That is good news at least - I am much more of a swimmer than a beach bum anyways.

SBH Member Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 291
    We were at Saline yesterday n it was not pretty. My husband swam but not I. We just came back from Flammands. Absolutely beautiful. N swimming everyday at Lorient. Was curious about Gouveneur. I guess just as bad as Saline.

Makes me wonder if the businesses subsidize the cleaning of the most populated.

Maureen - how busy was Saline? Were there still many people there despite the seaweed?

No very few but we went late afternoon. A very nice French lady stopped us n said not to swim because some of the seaweed was yellow n not good for sensitive skin. So I decided not to go in. My husband did but said seaweed was everywhere. Tomorrow we will go to St Jean. But our favorites are Saline n Gouveneur. Hopefully we will be able to swim before our return home next week. Anyone been to Columbier?? Don't want to hike out there n not be rewarded with a nice refreshing swim.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 5,643
    I swam a couple of times last week at Saline. I didn't find the sargassum in the water to be bad, and what was on the beach was largely isolated in a narrow swath along edge of the high tide mark. The sargassum was a little messy, but mostly rather small pieces . . . no big clumps threatening to swallow me up or pull me under!

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2005 Glen Cove, NY Posts: 6,136
    Our kids were at Lorient and St Jean today and loved both. The seaweed was no problem at either beach.

Phil

SBH Insider Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 525
    Quote Originally Posted by Maureenm View Post
    Anyone been to Columbier?? Don't want to hike out there n not be rewarded with a nice refreshing swim.
    Colombier looked good this am. Crowded if you ask me :)

Attached Images Attached Images  

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2004 NYC Posts: 17,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomoreweeds View Post
    what happened to all those big drivable rakes they bought a few years back?
    good luck getting THAT to Saline. Would have to be air-dropped.

And BTW?

Seaweed is organic. If Whole Foods was selling it you'd be paying $9 a pound.
    Neutral and Witty.

So are rotten tomatoes, but that doesn't mean I want to see them piled up on the beach

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2004 NYC Posts: 17,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart -my real name- View Post
    So are rotten tomatoes, but that doesn't mean I want to see them piled up on the beach
    Make that "naturally occurring"...kinda like, uh, SAND?
    Neutral and Witty.

Of course, because when most people think of their Caribbean vacation, they picture themselves sitting on the beach among huge piles of seaweed.

Are you doing your MikeR impression? Needs work.

The beautiful Saline beach was one of the primary reasons we decided to go to St Barts, and also one of the big reasons we decided to stay at Salines Garden while we're there. We are pretty new to the whole Caribbean thing and did not know about the seaweed issue - I certainly would rather not have seaweed all over the beach while we're there.

But, if the swimming is still decent (as has been mentioned above), then I think we'll be all right with it. It's certainly not going to ruin our trip or anything. And if it means the beach is even quieter, then in some ways it could even be a plus. So while I'll be very happy if they clean up at least one of Governeur and Saline, I'm not too concerned about a bit of seaweed here or there.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 26,140
    Atta boy. It is what it is and you will find a beach on/in which to frolic. Not to worry! Charlie did.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2009 Durham, NC Posts: 671
    I just want to be ON the island with a cold drink in my hand and a good book. To hell with the seaweed!

charlotte
    "There are no foreign lands. It is the traveller only who is foreign" Robert Louis Stevenson
    House Divided - Roll Tide War Eagle

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2003 The Thousand Islands,ON Posts: 2,029
    I wouldn't plan on Saline or Gouverneur until well into the new year.They are really choked with seaweed.No place to walk,sit ,or put a towel.We've never seen them like this
    st Jean and Flamands and Shell Beach have all been cleared.

Thanks George. We will head out there tomorrow. Shame about Goveneur n Saline but plenty of other beaches Went to St Jean today. Very strange w fence up and not being to access the left side by Islets.

SBH Member Joined: Jun 2007 USA and Web Posts: 316
    Yeah, another showel-ready project...

Kevin, were you here after the previous huracain, and were then any similar problems with seaweeds?
    Enjoying St Barth since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd View Post
    I wouldn't plan on Saline or Gouverneur until well into the new year..
    WOw! That's a shocker.

I'm surprised Abramovich doesn't have his own beach cleaning machine (or staff) to take care of things.

Since he missed last NYE maybe he has moved on to another island.