Paris in February

Valerie

SBH Insider
We are tossing around the idea of going to Paris in February of next year for our annual child free vacation. We have never traveled in Paris (we've only spent one night there during an extended layover) so we will want to see the main tourist sites as well as heading to Versailles. February is our best time to do this trip next year(and it appears there are deals on lodging to be had!) but I'm wondering if we would be able to fully experience and enjoy the city. Is February a good time to visit Paris? Will it be much too cold? Any advice will be much appreciated!

Valerie-if this is your golden opportunity, go for it. We were in Paris in March-very cold. My brother's comment was, "Idiot! Now you know why the song is APRIL IN PARIS... March sucks!"

We scheduled our 30th in Paris for a March date. Concorde over, George V -- the works. Needed some January R & R in SBH and while there started thinking how warm it was on the Guanahani beach and how cold Paris would be and we canceled the Paris trip and came back to the G in March, saving money!

My first Paris trip was in February and it was great--fewer tourists and walkable. Just think of all the great, warm French bistro cuisine you will be enjoying!

February in Paris has it's own charm. We were there several years ago. The t was not too bad for walking around Paris. It might rain though, so be prepared. Agree with Grey - French bistros, cafes on the boulevards are going to make it up if it is too cold outside. No lines to the museums too.

Well I think y'all have me convinced! No matter what I'm sure February in Paris is better than February in DC! Now to start some serious research. Frank just tossed out the idea of heading to the Alps for a few days of skiing as well so now trying to make this all work just got a bit more difficult...

Well due to work schedules we couldn't make Paris happen in February but the good news is we just booked plane tickets to go in November! Next up-putting the deposit down on an apartment!

That sounds good to me. Have fun Valerie.

(For the future-nothing is in bloom at Versailles in February-too cold. Just trees showing their branches sans leaves).

Thanks Amy! We are really looking forward to our trip and are definitely planning to visit Versailles. Now for the really important question-do you have any restaurant recommendations? ;)

Last visit 17 years ago, so not really. These come to mind, ANGELINA'S, wonderful lunch and hot chocolate and desserts. BOFINGERS-freshest seafood. TAILIVANT--was super popular then and a great meal.

Valerie---Rosita is there now and can probably give you some excellent recommendations. We haven't been in a few years and things change so I hesitate to weigh in. Paris is splendid at any time of year and I've been there during different seasons. November will be terrific. What a lovely trip to anticipate!

And if you're there the third Thursday of November (according to my calendar will be November 19th this year) you can experience the annual release of Beaujolais Nouveau. And believe me, before any wine aficionados can strike me down, I know that Beaujolais Nouveau is pretty much really bad. But while my dad was an ex-pat for 7 years in Paris while working for PPG, I visited every November and June. I have so many fun memories of Beaujolais Nouveau day - and it was almost like a pub crawl. But imagine a pub crawl with bistros in Paris. Plus, there have been fireworks and festivals in past years. It definitely brightened up what can be a bit of a bleak November. But as many have said, it's PARIS! It's hard for Paris to be anything but simply fabulous.

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately we won't be there on the 19th :( We're going earlier in the month but I do think it will be a fantastic trip! After seeing Paris Perfect mentioned a few times we opted to book an apartment with them and I just paid the deposit this morning. We'll be in the 7th with a view of the Eiffel Tower :) Now I just hope the exchange rate continues to become more favorable for us!

It!s Paris. Any time of the year is beautiful there IMHO, and each month brings its own personality. One year we were there in January, and experienced our first snow storm in Paris. It was magnificent.

We ttend to play our restaurant choices by ear, and even when it's chilly out, there are many restaurants that have outside heaters set up.

Romantic night out for us is a boat ride on the Seine. If you want, you can purchase tickets in advance on line...avoid the lines, and it's discounted. We try to time it so the trip starts out in daylight and ends in darkness. Tres romantic. Bateau Pont Neuf.

One word of caution though. If you use the Metro, keep your purse close to you and wallets in a front pocket. Professional pickpockets have become an increasing problem in the beautiful city. Happened to us. We were fortunate though. Carrying the minimum at the time, but I wasn't using any smarts myself with my wallet in a backpack. Just be smart and attentive.

Enjoy.

If you like steak and frites I recommend Le Severo in Montparnasse. We had a delicious lunch there about two years ago. February is a good month for a hearty meal. Small place so the concierge at our hotel made a reservation for us. Have a wonderful trip!