Villa Eden Island

elaineb01

Bonjour All,
I am new to this site but have already obtained much useful information here for planning a special trip to St Barths in 2016.
Would be grateful for any info on the Villa Eden Island in St Jean which I have found listed for rental by private owner on another website for St Barths ( not sure if I should name the site here or not?) Unlike most of the other villas I have looked at, which appear on several sites, I can find no other listing for it and no reviews, which makes me hesitant to proceed. I sent an enquiry via the site contact form and have received prompt replies from a private email address but am not sure how I can independently verify that the villa and person offering it is genuine.
Any advice or insight on this villa would be much appreciated!

Just wondering what is attracting you to this particular villa. The view of the lagoon?

Not especially Cassidain! In no particular order, the décor, layout and aspect of the villa, reasonable proximity to St Jean facilities and the fact that I had a response to my enquiry that was prepared to consider a booking for as far ahead as 2016. Some of the villa agencies I have contacted left me with the impression that I had to wait in line until repeat bookings are confirmed from 2015 rentals before they would entertain my reservation request.
I understand the island's popularity and the demand for well positioned villas, but as this will be a special celebration trip and we are trying to tie it in with a confirmed stay for a week in Barbados, I am trying to get ahead of the game as it were.

If you have any information on the location of this villa, I would welcome your comments.

It is true that repeaters have first crack at the same villa and the agencies will wait at least 30 days. There is no rule here that you can't mention the agency. Maybe we can comment on that.

It is true that repeaters have first crack at the same villa and the agencies will wait at least 30 days. There is no rule here that you can't mention the agency. Maybe we can comment on that.

Thanks Andy, the website for the Eden Island villa is www.st-barths.com which I must admit I confused with this site initially as its Home Page is headed up St Barths Online.

Hi Elaine and welcome to the Forum. It appears that this is a rental by villa owner and the website is just a place for the owners to list their villas. One of the considerations many renters have is whether to use a rental company or go direct to the owner. We always use the rental agency because we like to move around the island and explore new villas, while having the protection of the agency. Many, many rent direct from the owner, but in 90% of the time the owner is known as a Forum member or a friend-of-a-friend of the Forum, i.e. strongly referenced. That is not to say there is anything wrong with the property or the owners, it/they just lack a reference. Payment is the next consideration as one is normally asked to wire-transfer the funds to the owner at booking, and when the money goes leverage may be lost if there is an issue. Again, not wanting to alarm, just inform.

Screen Shot 2014-10-12 at 2.40.00 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2014-10-12 at 2.40.23 PM.jpg

Hi Elaine and welcome to the Forum. It appears that this is a rental by villa owner and the website is just a place for the owners to list their villas. One of the considerations many renters have is whether to use a rental company or go direct to the owner. We always use the rental agency because we like to move around the island and explore new villas, while having the protection of the agency. Many, many rent direct from the owner, but in 90% of the time the owner is known as a Forum member or a friend-of-a-friend of the Forum, i.e. strongly referenced. That is not to say there is anything wrong with the property or the owners, it/they just lack a reference. Payment is the next consideration as one is normally asked to wire-transfer the funds to the owner at booking, and when the money goes leverage may be lost if there is an issue. Again, not wanting to alarm, just inform.

Thanks to all who have replied. Totally take on board your advice JEK. It seems the website I have found this villa on is used mostly by French national villa owners, but still seems strange that none of you who know the island well have heard of it. Will pursue cautiously at the moment and ask a few more questions. Would still welcome any insight into the pros and cons of the location of the villa in St Jean. ie are we likely to get much late night noise disturbance from St Jean plage? Will mosquitos be more of a problem here than higher up from the lagoon?

It might be referred to by another name, Elaine. If all else fails, contact WIMCO directly; they may have good intel.