Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Barriers

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 6,412

Barriers

Name:  10593203_10152663598106352_4547260351136597497_n.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  80.0 KB

So, now that the runway path beach barrier is permanently installed it makes me wonder. I know that there have been several aircraft incidents of lesser or greater seriousness over the years involving the earth bound and their winged cousins, but don't I recall that the final-straw incident which precipitated the beach barrier requirement involved a picture-taker struck on the noggin by a plane's landing gear as the photographer stood somewhere in the vicinity of the Col de la Tourmente? That does seem to prompt the question: following the next incident at that location what draconian measures will be taken to render it safe?

BTW, those transats and parasols in the photo seem to belong to free lancers. That's to the West of TomBeach/La Plage, right? Is there an establishment there? Also, what do the Lazy Lay folks think about being more cut off from the rest of St-Jean plage now?
    Fils du Sud - Ministre de la Santé

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 9,508
    Barty can swim like a dolphin!

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 26,049
    Safer? One could take away the Arawak's spear I suppose.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 10,357
    They already installed metal fencing on the far side of the road where ED was when grazed by the plane's wheel, the idea to keep folks from mounting the hill to get a better shot...

where else in the world could you casually walk on an active runway?

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2008 Boston Posts: 8,069
    Those are Jean Michel's chairs. He has owned the Watersports on the other side of Tom Beach for over 30 years. 10e each chair and umbrella.
    I am a Lazy Layer and I feel pretty confident that fence isnt going to keep me from La Plage. At least when the water is calm.

Quote Originally Posted by elgreaux View Post
    where else in the world could you casually walk on an active runway?
    where else in the world can you go that's like saint-barth? or should i say like saint-barth was??? drip, drip, drip

one wasn't walking actually on the runway, btw

SBH Insider Joined: May 2004 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 3,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve View Post
    I am a Lazy Layer and I feel pretty confident that fence isnt going to keep me from La Plage. At least when the water is calm.
    LOL, that is priceless Eve!

SBH Member Joined: Nov 2010 Indiana Posts: 233
    I'll just avoid that beach from now on......oh wait, I do that anyway. I'll take Saline and Flamands any day of the week.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2005 Sarasota, Florida Posts: 1,774
    I think mother nature may have other ideas for that fence....

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2004 Pennsylvania Posts: 1,862
    It really is an eyesore. Liz and I usually walk the entire beach before lunch at Le Plague. I guess next year we will get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by kent1994 View Post
    It really is an eyesore. Liz and I usually walk the entire beach before lunch at Le Plague. I guess next year we will get wet.
    I don't know if a restaurant called Le Plague would sound very appetizing to me, but Bon Appétit !

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2004 Pennsylvania Posts: 1,862
    Quote Originally Posted by cassidain View Post
    I don't know if a restaurant called Le Plague would sound very appetizing to me, but Bon Appétit !
    You are so correct! la Plage is what I meant. :)

Quote Originally Posted by cassidain View Post
    where else in the world can you go that's like saint-barth? or should i say like saint-barth was??? drip, drip, drip

one wasn't walking actually on the runway, btw
    you may not have been but plenty of people did or got very close, I saw an adult male chasing a soccer ball onto the runway as a plane was seen in the distance... I'm surprised they didn't block it off a long time ago... especially after that first incident at the end of the runway... right?

Couldn't they have made the fence sand color? Seems esthetically very 'non-French'

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2003 Albany, NY Posts: 2,803
    [QUOTE=cassidain;897046]where else in the world can you go that's like saint-barth? or should i say like saint-barth was??? drip, drip, drip

Well, after just returning from St Tropez...I would have to say it's like St Barths ; only on steroids !
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance !

We too love Saint-Tropez, but it's a completely different place. Just the "real" world catching up with Saint-Barth, I suppose. Sad but inevitable. I'm not alone in deploring it, though.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,165
    As my Grams always said, "If you don't like something - change it. If you can't change it - change the way you think about it."
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Alexandria, VA Posts: 5,281
    It's strange that they didn't just fence off the runway area instead of the entire beach. (unless my perspective is off from the photo)

I had lunch last week with that picture taker who was hit in the noggin while standing in the water filming take-offs. I suggest naming the barrier after him! :-)

SBH Insider Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,498
    Bart, many incidents involved aircraft finishing their run onto the beach, or even into water (due to the short runway).

BTW I'd like to see that fence after a hurricane ;-)

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Alexandria, VA Posts: 5,281
    Are there really many incidents of planes leaving the runway on the ground?!!?!?!

Yikes. I just assumed that the fence was for when the planes were landing by coming in over the water.

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart -my real name- View Post
    Are there really many incidents of planes leaving the runway on the ground?!!?!?!

Yikes. I just assumed that the fence was for when the planes were landing by coming in over the water.
    Too many unfortunately. There are some on video.

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2005 Sarasota, Florida Posts: 1,774
    All sorts of fun things can happen on takeoff or landing....Google the video of the twin landing long and plowing into the sand....first few minutes on takeoff are the most dangerous 3 minutes of your flight, too much can go wrong when under full power and low airspeed......the fence is ugly, oui'.......necessary ?...gotta keep the approaches safe....

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Man Bob View Post
    I had lunch last week with that picture taker who was hit in the noggin while standing in the water filming take-offs. I suggest naming the barrier after him! :-)
    Who's that? if it was Ed, he wasn't in the water, he was up by the Arawak....the only person I know of who got hit on the beach end of the runway didn't survive as far as anyone heard...is there another one?

SBH Member Joined: Dec 2012 montgomery al. Posts: 160
    The chairs next to Tom Beach would have to be in front of OXY. I seem to remember someone saying something was going on there, as in new villa. We stayed there in 2003, talk about no privacy, but great to walk out on the beach. Guess you can't have everything. My question I forgot to ask, does anyone know what is happening there?

Here's how they keep people away from the runway flight path in advanced countries:

Name:  6a00e5539cae50883301a73e1369b2970d.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  82.4 KB

if the tourists in st barth respected the signs there wouldn't be fences...right?

Quote Originally Posted by elgreaux View Post
    if the tourists in st barth respected the signs there wouldn't be fences...right?
    Justement :)

Not Ed - and American from Jersey. The report that he didn't survive wasn't accurate. He was in hospital for quite a long time and is still dealing with the after affects 6 years later. But he still talks lovingly about the island.

Quote Originally Posted by alachick View Post
    The chairs next to Tom Beach would have to be in front of OXY. I seem to remember someone saying something was going on there, as in new villa. We stayed there in 2003, talk about no privacy, but great to walk out on the beach. Guess you can't have everything. My question I forgot to ask, does anyone know what is happening there?
    OXY is eventually going to be connected to the villa next door. He now owns it