Provincetown

rock13

SBH Member
My wife and I, both mid 30s are staying in Ptown Aug 27- 30. It will be our first time there. My wife has some reservations about, for lack of a better word, it's lifestyle. We have heard it is like key west which we have both been to and enjoyed. She heard from someone that Ptown is a little more in your face and can be visually more aggressive, she was told there would be people walking around in dog collars on leashes. Is that accurate? In any of my research I have not heard people are that in your face, so I have tried to calm her fears. But am I wrong? Will ptown be more flamboyant because of a holiday weekend? Thanks for any input.

Gay people are everywhere, even your own family. Some are a little more out than others. Some places are a little more accepting than others. Perhaps Nantucket would be a better choice, but beware they are there too.

We have no problem with gay people. We knew in looking into staying at ptown it had a gay community. My wife heard one story and now she has second thoughts about staying there. I'm sure there will be some sights we aren't accustomed to, so I just want to aleve her second thoughts. I just want to make sure it won't be like fantasy Fest, which a highly doubt it will be like.

Nothing said on this forum can be of help to you. You know your wife better than we do. I would go and just be prepared to avert your eyes :)

Everything you heard is basically true......this is a very overt sexually liberated town for both gay and straight people but the gay presence is much more significant ....find the PBS piece online which called us the most sexually liberated town in America and you will get a fairly accurate portrayal of who we are and what we re about.....we accept everyone regardless of their inclinations, without judgements or reservations ....and it's pretty much all out there in the street ...the street scene at night can get pretty wild and the later it gets at night the edgier it gets ....during the day however it's much more subdued ....

Nantucket sounds like a much better fit to me for your wife but I don't know her well enough to say for sure ....one thing for certain it will be much more ...uhmmmm....white collar, straight laced, and mainstreamed on Nantucket than here ...that I can guarantee you..

you either love this place or hate it......few have middle of the road feelings about it....

i and my wife and kids all love it to death...my older daughter and boyfriend are here now and my wife and younger daughter arrive this weekend....I love the fact that this town has taught both my kids to just roll with what ever makes people happy with who they are without judgements ....but as always ....your mileage may vary...we all have different values and comfort levels and there are no rights or wrongs here

if that sounds like a bit over the top for you just change your plans.....but I would suggest giving it a try....you never know...you may like it....

Rock . . . why don't you make a solo "scouting trip" -- get the lay of the land & report back to your wife. It sounds like you have a sense of her level of tolerance for "flamboyant" sights . . . which none of us do. And it's such a subjective matter. (By the way, is there something wrong with putting a leash on someone's dog collar?)

We have no problem with gay people. We knew in looking into staying at ptown it had a gay community. My wife heard one story and now she has second thoughts about staying there. I'm sure there will be some sights we aren't accustomed to, so I just want to aleve her second thoughts. I just want to make sure it won't be like fantasy Fest, which a highly doubt it will be like.

My wife and I have been to Fantasy Fest and really enjoyed it. We did not feel threatened or that anything was "in our face". Just people, couples mostly, having a relaxed time.

I am so sorry to miss. Last year was so much fun. The weather looks great. Enjoy the beer garden. Oh wait...don't need Carnival for that!

Hey Rock...here is an early evening walk with my daughter ....now this is the more subdued east end otherwise known as the gallery district because it is where all the art galleries and many restaurants are.....all the crazy bars and Cabaret theaters are in the west end ....and as you can see there are nice normal happy shiny people enjoying the evening....

so it's not all going to hell decadent in nature....

but a few more blocks to the west?....and all bets are off :nightmare:

http://youtu.be/07Trw8NpqZ0

Yes . . . a beautiful evening & a relaxing walk -- thanks for sharing, Mike (I have to say, however, that though I think I saw two people hugging, there were no leashes or dog collars in evidence!).