Complete Guide To Avoiding Mosquito Bites

Andy, chikungunya mosquito is also the dengue mosquito and the yellow fever mosquito. No yellow fever yet!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aedes

Aedes

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the genus of mosquito. For other meanings, see Aedes (disambiguation).

Aedes is a genus of mosquitoes originally found in tropical and subtropical zones, but now found on all continents excluding Antarctica. Some species have been spread by human activity. Aedes albopictus, a most invasive species, was recently spread to the New World, including the US, by the used-tire trade. First described and named by Meigen in 1818, the generic name comes from the Ancient Greekἀηδής, aēdēs, meaning "unpleasant" or "odious". Some species of this genus transmit serious diseases, including dengue fever, yellow fever, and chikungunya. In Polynesia, the species Aedes polynesiensis is responsible for the transmission of human lymphatic filariasis.
Aedes can be detected and monitored by ovitraps.
The yellow fever mosquito (Aedes aegypti) genome was sequenced by the Broad Institute and The Institute for Genomic Research. The initial assembly was released in August 2005; a draft sequence of the genome and preliminary analysis was published in June 2007.[SUP][1][/SUP] The annotated genome is available at VectorBase.[SUP][2][/SUP]
Contents

[hide]​

Characteristics[edit]

Aedes mosquitoes are visually distinctive because they have noticeable black and white markings on their body and legs. Unlike most other mosquitos, they are active and biting only during the daytime.
Role in disease[edit]

Members of the Aedes genus are known vectors for numerous viral infections. The two most prominent species that transmit viruses are Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus which transmit the viruses that cause dengue fever, yellow fever, West Nile fever, chikungunya, and eastern equine encephalitis, along with many other, less notable diseases. Infections with these viruses are typically accompanied by a fever, and, in some cases, encephalitis, which can lead to death. A vaccine to provide protection from yellow fever exists, and measures to prevent mosquito bites include: insecticides such as DDT, mosquito traps, insect repellents, and mosquito nets.

Quote and edit the quote and I will replace in the original text.

Here you go:

Use as much DEET as you are comfortable with. Mosquitoes now bite from dawn to dusk and will also hide in the shade and under tables and chairs at all times.

I might also add………..

Avoid staying in places where there is an abundance of dark woods and furnishings. I was at place when I arrived that while lovely, had tons of antiques and dark wood around the living area. TONS of mosquitos. I have taken to wearing a light cotton long sleeve t-shirt and pants which are both white, while lounging around. Seems to help………kr