Need immediate help on island

MickinUS

SBH Member
My rental car got stuck on the steep villa driveway after rain - spinning wheels etc.,
I called the Dollar car rental company and left a message. I need a tow truck.
The reason for the urgency is that I'm flying out first thing in the morning.

Does anybody have their emergency number or does it exist? Thx in advance..

the lady who manages the villa offered to drive me to the airport tomorrow
if I'm stuck but I'd prefer to get this sorted beforehand if I can.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
M,
I doubt if there is an emergency number. Call a taxi for the morning and let the driver know to call Dollar to fetch the remains.

Cell : 06 90 33 42 51

Good luck.

Was there a separate Dollar Counter, or did you pick it up at the Hertz counter? For Dollar, the only number that I can find is 0590.52.34.06. For Hertz, if you picked the car up there, the only number that I can find is 0590.27.71.14. Never having rented from Dollar, or from Hertz on SBH, I don't have a night or emergency number for either.

Was there a separate Dollar Counter, or did you pick it up at the Hertz counter? For Dollar, the only number that I can find is 0590.52.34.06. For Hertz, if you picked the car up there, the only number that I can find is 0590.27.71.14. Never having rented from Dollar, or from Hertz on SBH, I don't have a night or emergency number for either.
It's the same counter - we've left messages on both. Guess we just have to wait. Thx Kevin

Back to the car -- did you shift into 4WD and try to extricate yourself?
Am about 2 feet from a wall with the handbrake just barely holding it - I pulled the handbrake as hard as I could and got out as fast as I could. Difficult to explain without a pic.

Am about 2 feet from a wall with the handbrake just barely holding it - I pulled the handbrake as hard as I could and got out as fast as I could. Difficult to explain without a pic.
Oh, dear! I've had this happen too. When the pavement dries, do the maneuver whereby you slowly let the emergency brake off, while gunning the gas in forward, all the while preparing to stop suddenly. It's thrilling :cool:

I've enjoyed your reports, and hope for a happy ending to your visit!!

Oh, dear! I've had this happen too. When the pavement dries, do the maneuver whereby you slowly let the emergency brake off, while gunning the gas in forward, all the while preparing to stop suddenly. It's thrilling :cool:

I've enjoyed your reports, and hope for a happy ending to your visit!!
Too close to wall Katva! I don't want to hit the wall and damage the car

I don't understand the problem now. If it's dry today just drive. I'm assuming it's stick shift. Keep the hand brake on, put it in reverse while letting the clutch out and let the hand brake off gradually.

Been trying everything since 6.00 am just burning rubber. Called Dollar. Going to call me back. No traction - awkward angle on driveway - one of rear wheels just spinning. Weird. 90 mins to flight.

The car just needed to be on 4WD position. We moved it and it is fine. didn't need to be towed.

View attachment 26233View attachment 26234View attachment 26235View attachment 26232My rental car got stuck on the steep villa driveway after rain - spinning wheels etc., I called the Dollar car rental company and left a message. I need a tow truck. The reason for the urgency is that I'm flying out first thing in the morning. Does anybody have their emergency number or does it exist? Thx in advance..

the lady who manages the villa offered to drive me to the airport tomorrow if I'm stuck but I'd prefer to get this sorted beforehand if I can.

Have a safe trip home. St. Barts seems to have an abundance of cars that require an extra switch to get into 4WD so you might not know that.

Thx Andy. BTW a big shoutout to Pearl who kindly drove us to the airport this morning and organized the pickup of the car later. She manages villas for several owners. She can be contacted at askpearl.sbh@gmail.com or call her at +590 690 37 37 23

Like JEK said... 4WD function is the key. I learned this after getting into numerous "pinches" like this one- parked on the Gustaf hill, for example, with a car parked in front of me which I was desperately trying not to hit while backing up and out... 4WD is precisely what was needed, and these were manuals/stick-shift!

Remote driver training over the interweb is a tall order :)
Next we'll work on photo orientation.