July 13, 2014, Lunch at Taiwana.

phil62

Senior Insider
We felt like having lunch yesterday on the beach, so we headed over to Taiwana, and it did not disappoint. The food was great, and you can't beat the view.

1-DSCN0714.JPG

Amy had grilled shrimp that was accompanied by a huge portion of frites. It was so big, in fact, that I had to help out with the consumption. Missy would have been proud.

2-P1000934.JPG

I had the some grilled chicken that was covered in a yummy barbecue sauce and served with mashed potatoes and sauteed onions. Very enjoyable.

1-P1000933.JPG

If you're looking for a low key, beachfront lunch, give Taiwana a try.

Phil

Oh, be still my heart and be quiet my belly. That is a heap'n, honk'n pile of frites! Thanks, Big Guy, for being my proxy. I know I can always count on you.

Taïwana is pricey, but not quite that pricey [1000€], LOL

Oh, I don't know, let's see. Knowing your predilection for good Burgundy:

A couple of apéritifs, a nice Leflaive/Lafon/Coche-Dury premier or grand cru, une assiette de jambon cru à partager, a couple of grilled langoustes, une bouteille d'eau, a couple of deserts, deux cafés . . . got to be damn close. :)

Both the chicken and the shrimp look divine. It is on our list. We have always been fearful of going as people have told us their prices are outrageous? Sounds like they may have toned them down?

We have always been fearful of going as people have told us their prices are outrageous? Sounds like they may have toned them down?

Judge for yourself:
http://www.hoteltaiwana.com/files/9414/0104/5523/Menu_Taiwana.pdf

Cassidain,

We stick with the Prosciutto and Melon, and either the steamed or grilled Mahi, with maybe some icecream and a Tarte au Citron for dessert. There is often an apéretif, and there is guaranteed to be a bit of wine list pillaging, but I've never come close to some of my old Lafayette Club checks. Passing on the Langouste Grillée (€11/100gr, or about €75 for 1.5lbs) helps to keep the price down.

Passing on the Langouste Grillée (€11/100gr, or about €75 for 1.5lbs) helps to keep the price down.

I can attest to that.....but then again, it wouldn't be the same memories in that day in paradise......:wink2:

Linda, I agree. I don't regret the Langouste Grilée at Lafayette Club, or the memory, just the check, LOL.

Kathy,

It was the worst hamburger that I've ever had on the island. I planned to try it, and "took one for the team" by ordering the €35/$48 burger. The Taïwana GM, to his credit, tried to talk me out of it, (as did our restaurant owner/chef dining companion) but I was on a mission. The burger was perfectly cooked and prepared, but too lean and therefor tasteless. I'll never order it again. Instead, I now order the steamed Mahi that the GM recommended (and which our dining companion concurred with), and switch to the grilled Mahi when the steamed is not available.

Taïwana may have improved their burger since, but I'll never ever know that.

We're very happy at Taïwana with our usual Prosciutto and Melon, and our steamed/grilled Mahi. It's not our least expensive lunch by any stretch, but we dine there on Sundays and cost-average by having dinner at Hideaway that night. The management and staff are most welcoming, they take excellent care of us, we dine early which helps us to get a great table, the view is arguably as better than or as good as the view from Sand Bar, and we've consistently had great experiences there. Except when I ordered the burger.

We're nowhere near as happy next door at the Isle de France, which is one reason that we know dine at Taïwana for Sunday lunch.

Kevin -
Is your IDF comment based on recent visits or have you always felt that way. (I know that a couple of posters have thought the quality of IDF has gone down in the last year or so)

Bart,

How many bottles of wine that are presented as Premier Cru on a wine list, but don't have those words on the label, would it take to piss you off?