July 9, 2014, Dinner at Pipiri Palace

phil62

Senior Insider
An easy drive in to Gustavia for dinner at Pipiri Palace. Host and owner Rodrigue welcomed us on this his 'reopening' night. We chose an indoor table, which proved a good move after heavy showers emptied the garden area of its dinner guests.

Phil started his meal with the traditional Caesar salad that was garnished with bacon strips
1-P1000859.JPG

I chose a baked St Marcellin cheese wheel accompanied by bread toasts that were drizzled with honey with some chopped nuts to sprinkle on them.
2-P1000860.JPG

Ellen and Rosemond had the lobster bisque with Gruyere cheese and bread toasts to make your own croutons.
3-P1000861.JPG

I had the fresh river prawns, OUASSOUS, served with rice and a side of string beans with tiny baby garden peas. The new sauce, not listed on the menu, was a sweet mango that was a perfect finish to the giant shell fish
4-P1000862.JPG

The grilled duck and confit came with a cepes mushroom sauce
5-P1000863.JPG

And Rosemond had the traditional conch fricasee with rice
6-P1000864.JPG

We all skipped dessert but did enjoy the vanille and ginger rhum that Rodrigue brought for us.

We wish Pipiri only good things as it begins its second year under Rodrigue's watchful and caring stewardship.

Skipped desert? What, no chocolate cake "backed" just for you?

Great photos, as usual, mes amis:up::up:

Must be about 10 years since I was introduced to that cheese at lunch at the now closed Tamarin.( Like a milder Camembert.)

Ellen,

In my 30 or so years of visiting the island, I haven't been to every restaurant, not even every "good" or "nice" or "popular" restaurant. Nor do I ever expect to. Over the last 5-10 years there have consistently been about 80 places to get a meal on the island. In my regular twice-a-year two-week trips I visit no more than 10-11 restaurants on every trip, but I do try to fit in one "new" restaurant on each trip. "New" may be just-opened new, new-to-us new, or new-ownership new. I have too many favorite, must-visit, and must-visit-as-often-as-possible places to ever find the room/time to visit all 80 places.

Kevin, I agree, in my 25 years of coming here and living here for long periods of time, I can't say I have been to every restaurant on the island either.... so that's why I was asking how stbartshopper had managed to do so....
:evil:

We have always loved Pipiri, were so sad for the loss, and glad the lovely atmosphere and food remains. And as much as we love to dine outside, we usually choose to sit inside as we've been rained upon a few too many times! Thank you for the report and pictures.