First Visit overnight

kantwaitk

Hi everyone! I've recently come upon some free time and figured I'd visit the islands as an early 40th birthday gift, and one of my stops will be in St. Barths. I'll be ferrying from St Maarten this weekend and plan to spend an overnight Friday night. I've been feverishly scouring the forums for tips and must sees and appreciate all the past advice. I'm actually a guy traveling solo for the first time ever for pleasure. I'm used to traveling for business and this was a spur of the moment idea when a free five days unexpectedly occurred in my schedule. I literally booked my trip yesterday. I'll most likely be renting a car from Gumb's or other recommened provider to get around. I don't have anything planned but eating and relaxing at the beaches most days. My big concern is, where do I sleep? Will I run into problems if I just sleep in the car, or on a beach somewhere? I actually have four nights in St Maarten already paid for, but am willing to forgo a night there if I could safely and hasslefree stay on St Barths. Honestly, I don't feel I could 'only' day trip over without taking some regret back with me. Figuring that lost hotel room and the cost of ferrying back and forth two days I've almost paid for another hotel room so I don't think I could do a double back and forth on the ferry. I'd love any recommendations on that, or things to be wary of. Of course, I'd love any other general recommendations for a first time spur of the moment, little planning in advance, solo traveler! Thanks!

The hotel options mentioned above are all very reasonably priced. I would not recommend sleeping in your car or on the beach.

Phil

Thanks everyone! I've contacted all of them and will definitely be staying at one. I really appreciate it, that takes a huge burden off my shoulders.

Now... just to relax and have fun! Any must dos?

I was looking into a one night stay last December and if I remember correctly Normandie and Petit Anse had minimum stays longer than one night. But this was December (before the high season), not summer.

You could also try Saline Gardens - - they had a one night stay option, but they're a little off the beaten track. We ended up the Village St. Jean (for one night) which is just up the hill from a lot of action in St Jean. I'd look into staying there just for the location alone.

all of these options are great, and I echo the suggestion not to sleep in your car or on the beach...

I believe the Gendarmes may roust you if you try to sleep say on the beach or in your car. You would be safe doing this but you will sleep better in one of the hotels mentioned!

Welcome K! What a terrific early 40th birthday gift to yourself! I predict your one night stay in St. B will cause you to plan a lengthier stay in the future....it doesn't take more than one day/night to become hooked. Enjoy and let us know how it goes, would love to hear a report.

Happy 40th Birthday in advance, K. The hotel recommendations are spot-on; I'd lean towards the Sunset since it is in Gustavia and across from the ferry dock. For your visit, hit the Pause button---don't overplan. Pick up a map at the Tourist office (on the quay a few steps from the ferry dock). Take a drive around the island, stopping here and there to soak in the vistas. You can hit some beaches along the way. Dinner in Gustavia perhaps and lunch at La Plage on St. Jean beach might suit you. But let the island rhythm envelop you and go with the flow. Have a great trip---I'm sure you'll return!

I've slept on the beach and it is still amongst one of the coolest nights ever spent on the island...

just sayin

but I think Sunset would make the most sense in your situation

I've slept on the beach and it is still amongst one of the coolest nights ever spent on the island...

just sayin

but I think Sunset would make the most sense in your situation
Yes but did you have a place to wash up and all??

There is a really nice shower and bathroom at the port which we have used on many occasions. Just saying for "day trippers" and the folks that stay over night when you have to leave your hotel at noon and the ferry leaves at 6 PM

There is a really nice shower and bathroom at the port which we have used on many occasions. Just saying for "day trippers" and the folks that stay over night when you have to leave your hotel at noon and the ferry leaves at 6 PM

Good info. I remembered the bathroom but forgot about the shower.

Good info. I remembered the bathroom but forgot about the shower.

First time I came to SBH was on a little sailboat so I fondly remember the shower at the port. Had hot water IIRC unlike the last shower I had before in the BVI.