A few Questions

HaPpYhApPyJoYjOy

Hello Everyone, We will be arriving next week to celebrate our 30th anniversary, we rented a villa for 2 weeks. I have been reading the blog just about everyday since January but I still have a few questions. Can you drink the tap water? We were in Anguilla 2 years ago and I think we spent more on water than we did on alcohol. If need be my son has a water filter he takes camping that I'm thinking about bringing. I rented a Hertz car through my AAA but I have never seen Hertz on the list of rental companies at the airport? I have a confirmation number and it said to pick up at SBH. Do I have any concerns?Also, Has anyone done the day trip to Forchue Island and how was the snorkeling? Thank You

dont drink the tap water and bottled water is cheap if you dont buy Evian....less than a euro per 1.5 liter

Done Forchue many times and its a nice trip and snorkeling is generally good but Colombier is just as good and its much closer

no clue about the car..sorry

Welcome Happy!

Most of us do not drink the tap water since it may come from a cistern -- suggest bottled water and not a filter as some of critters could be smaller the filter size.

Hertz is listed at the airport -- see number.

Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 3.44.36 PM.jpg

Been to Forchue many times and it is good for snorkeling and a nice ride out.
Enjoy your time on the island and give us a trip report.
Happy 30th!

I would definitely recommend only drinking bottled water. As Mike mentioned, the price of water is not expensive, but this is only if you are buying at one of the stores. The restaurants will charge you quite a bit more (about 8 EUR per bottle).

I would definitely recommend only drinking bottled water. As Mike mentioned, the price of water is not expensive, but this is only if you are buying at one of the stores. The restaurants will charge you quite a bit more (about 8 EUR per bottle).

And I recommend drinking a bottle of expensive water along with each bottle of expensive wine. Seems to make the driving much better :)

And I recommend drinking a bottle of expensive water along with each bottle of expensive wine. Seems to make the driving much better :)

Agreed. Helps prevent hangovers too! I haven't had a bad one in St Barth yet thanks to all of that water drinking.

Have used Hertz several times and have saved some $ by being able to apply some discount codes with the online reservation. Last trip arrived several hours early and they offered a wonderful upgrade at no extra charge. With any agency would record all the car's dents so there is no question when you return it

i love when people say "drink only bottled water"....when you go to restaurants, how do you think they wash the vegatables and where do you think the ice cubes come from? we don't go out of our way to drink the water BUT you can't help drinking "local water"

We were there last week and I'm almost certain I saw Hertz at the airport.

Marche U (across the street from the airport) had very cheap liters of water. I want to say it was less than 1 euro.

Thanks for all the information. We can't wait to see all the beaches and visit all the restaurants we have been reading about for 6 months. I am also going to plan a few spa days, L'Isle de France and Christopher. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. The Andy Griffith show is just an all time classic. Thanks again, HaPpYhApPyJoYjOy

Another thing... We will be doing the Colombier hike 50 minute challenge. We have been training at altitude here in Colorado.... LOL:tongue:

You probably already know this, but going to a beach in the morning and then having a loooong lunch at an outdoor (beachfront perhaps) restaurant is a great way to spend a day. Plus it gets you out of the sun during the most brutal hours.

i love when people say "drink only bottled water"....when you go to restaurants, how do you think they wash the vegatables and where do you think the ice cubes come from? we don't go out of our way to drink the water BUT you can't help drinking "local water"

St. Barth might be the first place on our trip of 15+ countries where we don't trip the tap (or similar) water. A couple of days ago we asked ourselves the question what do the locals drink? My guess was wine but perhaps someone who lives on the island could share the light on this :)

St. Barth might be the first place on our trip of 15+ countries where we don't trip the tap (or similar) water. A couple of days ago we asked ourselves the question what do the locals drink? My guess was wine but perhaps someone who lives on the island could share the light on this :)
only botlled water, wine and rum!!we try to don't drink cistern water , only the ice cube...i know but the rosé kills everything!

"Another thing... We will be doing the Colombier hike 50 minute challenge. We have been training at altitude here in Colorado.... LOL
tongue.gif
"

This is the turn that takes you up the steep hill to the village of Colombier. Don't miss it! FWIW, it's one way down hill for vehicles.
attachment.php

We always, like most, go out of our way to avoid the water: this year, I chuckled to myself when I thought about all the local water coffee we drink at the villa. Still standing, so far...