I Still Like Books

amyb

Senior Insider
Went in to town of St Helena and thrilled to see the little independent MAIN ST BOOK STORE was still there! Bought Ivan Doig's THE BARTENDER'S TALE as it had been recommended on this forum and I have enjoyed Doig's THE ELEVENTH MAN and THE WHISTLING SEASON.

Our Yountville stay is a great location to travel up and down the wine country. I learned that our Inn does not maintain a library. The front desk told me to take my pass along books to the community center next to the Post Office. The local veterans, he told me, grab them up!

Another reason I love hold in your hands books.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 87
I love books as well and have started differentiating paper books from Kindle books by the type of book. For instance, I have the hard copies of the great trilolgy about
WW II by Rick Atkinson. I tried a Kindle version of his "The Guns at Last Light", his last in the trilogy about the invasion of Europe through France and subsequent campaigns and battles and found the Kindle to be unsatisfying. I can't refer to maps, previous references or earlier pages as simply as I can with an actual book so it became necessary to purchase the hard copy. And even though I could have a copy in my "cloud" on the Kindle I still like to have this type of book on the shelf.

BY the way, for all you WW II buffs, Atkinson is a terrific writer and these three books about that war are an absolute must. The first details the North African campaign and the political and tactical issues surrounding the eventual leadership assignments (Eisenhower as the Supreme). The second details the Italian invasion and that terribly costly invasion. But I digress. These books need to be books, not electronic.

yes I sell all his books and they seem to be well liked ..mostly by men over 60 though..which is fine

and along that theme..give these a look

A Higher Call by Adam Nakos
The Good Soldiers by David Finkel
Saving Italy by Robert Edsel
The Things They Carried by Tim OBrien