? about SXM.....any changes in 6 yr?

Chip

SBH Insider
Gonna return to St Barts after a 6 year absence....wondering what's new in getting through SXM (relatively) unscathed lol

Any US carriers check bags all the way through to St Barts? I recall USAir did a few years ago

How do things stack up with WinAir and SBC? SBC used to be better and Winair indifferent

Are cellphone boarding passes in use? Printed ones? And how is the in-transit thing functioning?

Are lastly, are the VIP services useful for transiting SXM, and do they provide value?

Thx, Chip

We just returned this weekend and flew USAir and WinAir. We had checked bags all the way through from Atl to SBH and it worked beautifully. We entered the gate and basically went up the stairs did a U-turn into security where they re-checked our carryons and went straight to the Winair gate for departure. It went so smooth caught an earlier flight to SB. We then had to wait in SB for our luggage. This is the only point that I think a VIP service could have been helpful as I would hope they would have been able to bring our luggage to our villa. This is the only point on our trip where I think VIP could have helped but otherwise it was extremely easy and that is with two kids.
Re - SXM airport changes - it had been 10 years for me so it seemed bigger and I noticed lots renovation or additions still going on. It was actually much better than I remembered.
Good luck and enjoy.

We arrange our schedules just to fly SBC. No charge for changing tickets, which we often seem to do.

Winair is much more customer service conscious than it was six years ago. One of their executives monitors this site and responds to criticism, a big step forward. There's certainly nothing wrong with SBC, but they have fewer flights and no baggage agreements with US carriers. SBC is also usually cheaper.

I've had no problems checking bags through on US Air/Winair from RIC to SBH. Going through the Transit checkpoint is usually a breeze. I've never tried using cellphone boarding passes, but the paper version works fine.

Yes- check your bags all the way thru and you will avoid Win Air trying to nick you for a little extra on baggage and standing in line to recheck you're baggage in SXM Transit.

Thanks all....sounds like USAir/Winair is the way to go.....If I check bags all the way through, I can go in transit rather than go through customs? If so, I would agree that VIP services not needed.....If not, thats another story lol

And will WinAir print passes in SBH for the entire trip back?

Hi All

Yes, Winair has agreements with Us Airways, Delta and Untited which will check the bags thru to St. barth's once you show them your Winair flights, Winair on the return will also do the same
You can now also check in online for the Winair flights 24 hours before, so you can have your boarding in hand to show your mayor carrier. In St. Maarten you can proceed to the gate and should we have an earlier flight with seats, we will glady move you over at no cost

Hope this helps, you can always email if you have any questions cbuncamper@fly-winair.com

Regards

Claudio