SBC baggage check bags

MartinS

Senior Insider
Just went round and round with SBC at the counter. They all but MADE me check my roll aboard to SXM.. That would mean I must go through customs and immigration in SXM, collect my roll aboard and back through security to catch my flight. .... I pack a carry on and a small back pack....... My bag didn't weight over, just a "new" rule......

I don't want to say I won, but she is letting me "Carry-on" and collect it plane side..... From the sounds of it this will not continue... And my bag was not heavy, !!,,,,!,

I had reported on this fir one of our recent trips. Ran into it with the female agent whose name I don't know, but not with the male agent a couple of months later. Fortunately, sthe very efficient female agent gave us a pass. I did not need to test if anyone who have cared if we retrieved the bags on the tarmac. Have nit run into that with Winair. I believe it's related to the new smaller SBC planes.

It was a 12/11/13 posting about SBC carry on new policy. Not sure how to include the post here from the Ipad.

Here it is Deb from my iPad :)

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/sh...-Commuter-carry-on-limits?p=865270#post865270

St. Barth Commuter carry on limits
The new plane is fantastic, but we ran into something new this time that may or may not be related to the size of the plane.

We use carry on and the transit desks in both directions. I seem to recall that last year they "checked" our bags anyway, but we were able to easily retrieve them on the tarmac upon departing the plane.

This time the agent characterized them as carry on (meaning we store them the area at the rear of the cabin), however, the woman at the desk said that I was over the limit by two kgs (apparently spelled out in the newer contracts). It all worked out fine, but it sounded like, in the future, on SBC, if we are over at all, we will need to check and possibly not be able to retrieve our bags on the tarmac, but rather need to go through customs and pick them up at the conveyer, etc.

Thoughts, experiences - Michael, others?

And here is how you do it!

Find the post you want and to copy the URL, click on the box with the up arrow (1), then the Copy command (2).

photo copy.jpg

When you are ready to insert into a post, tap the text block and hold until the Paste tab appears and touch in to insert the contents of the clipboard.

photo.jpg

Hello Martin,

There is no change with the baggage policy indicated on the tickets. The policy is:
_ 20 Kg (44lbs) for checked baggage included in the ticket price,
_ 10 kg (22 lbs) for carry-on included in the ticket price,
Extra kilos are charged 2€/Kg (1€/lbs).

I show in the system you had more than 22 lbs of carry-on per passengers, that's why the desk agent asked you to check your baggages.
Stephanie told me we would increase the carry-on weight limit for passengers with only carry-on.

Many major airlines do not include anymore the first checked baggage in their price, so the number of passenger with only carry-on is increasing month-by-month.

Have a great day,
Michael

Weight matters on an airplane but, in reality, isn't it total weight, passengers and luggage together? Lighter passengers should be allowed to take more baggage, n'est-ce pas? Let's put the passenger plus luggage on a scale and charge for overage. What a ****storm that would cause!

Weight matters on an airplane but, in reality, isn't it total weight, passengers and luggage together? Lighter passengers should be allowed to take more baggage, n'est-ce pas? Let's put the passenger plus luggage on a scale and charge for overage. What a ****storm that would cause!

Particularly if it's on the flight home!!!

Phil

The pricing would be too transparent and they couldn't overcharge you so easily.

I was surprised to hear that the weight limit for carry-on in the US is 23kg. That's the limit for checked baggage elsewhere, if you go over that, you're supposed to pay for overweight.

I have a trip planned this fall that allows only 22 pounds per person. Including my camera bag.

Ready to see passengers fighting at check-in? Discrimination at its best....

I don't see this as discrimination at all. Just as there are dimensions for carry on bags there are certain "dimensions" that should require the purchase of two seats.