Wall House Menu (nouveau)

cassidain

Senior Insider
Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 11.26.30 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 11.26.49 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 11.27.09 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 11.27.49 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 11.28.11 AM.jpg

goodness, I don't see the Mahi burger listed! What a disaster! Am I correct to assume the many of the old favorites will not be included going forward? and no "sweets trolley"?

Anyone tried the new Wall House yet? We are in town for a week and wondering whether it is worth giving it a try.

Twice the lunch (once from the list, once the daily special) earlier this month, nothing to complain about the food. The mahi mahi was better than several other places on the island. The 18€ daily special is pretty good value, I think the food on the island is getting pretty expensive for what it is.

Best service on island by a big margin.

Twice for lunch in the last couple of weeks.Once just Pat and me,once with two other couples( both also long time clients of all the previous " regimes")
The welcome and attentive service were exceptional.Food was also extremely good( new manager and chef were very attentive to Pat's food sensitivities)
These two encounters during a very short 3 week visit earlier in June, bode well for continuing our " twice a week" lunch routine over our long stay in the fall and winter.Marie,Léonie and Bradley will treat you well.If you go,tell them we gave them the " thumbs up"( they know about this site)

Went last night for dinner - it was rather quiet. The service was excellent with the exception that they aren't always on top of pouring your wine for you. Had the chèvre rolls salad, mahi mahi and snapper (not shown on menu above). Everything was very good but I do miss the dessert trolley. Hopefully it returns for the high season. The rotisserie was not in use. IMHO the menu is very small currently - no canard or poulet for example.

These two encounters during a very short 3 week visit earlier in June,
You have a different definition of short. This is our ninth trip to SBH and our longest visit was eleven days. Most of us would consider three weeks to be an extremely long visit. Lucky you!

Wine pouring in restaurants on St. Barths . . . it's an interesting subject. After many years of frequent dining on SBH -- in restaurants from "fancy" to humble -- I concluded some time ago that it's not an element of service that is high on the "totem pole" in terms of attention by servers . . . almost everywhere. There are a few exceptions . . . Le Gaiac, for example, is very attentive to the amount of wine in a glass, and Maya's is pretty alert to the issue. While I used to think that the failure to regularly "top off" my wine was a server's shortcoming, I've come to the conclusion that it's generally not going to happen . . . and it's not a sign of disrespect or inadequate service. It's just the way it is on St. Barths. What's more, I've realized that there's nothing wrong with my arm . . . I'm perfectly capable of pouring wine for myself and others at the table and, as a matter of fact, do it quite well (and often!).

A few years ago at one of the most highly rated restaurants in St Barth, we were greatly annoyed by the overly attentive waiters and servers (at least 3) who insisted on interrupting our dinner conversation by topping off our wine glasses after each sip (almost) and asking us if we wanted more water, bread, etc. Too much attentive service can be a real turnoff. There were few people at dinner that night, but there was no reason for them to annoy us like they did. We have returned to the restaurant recently but only after many years of avoiding it. Too much of a good thing is not a always a good thing!

. . . I'm perfectly capable of pouring wine for myself and others at the table and, as a matter of fact, do it quite well (and often!).
I agree as well but at restaurants back home I have heard waiters say that they get in trouble if the manager/owner sees guests having to pour their own wine.

After the initial pour, I always pour the wine myself because I'm the only one who knows how much wine I want. Usually it's much less than they think. If the waiter attempts a second pour, I put my hand over the glass and that usually settles it.

Good service involves being sensitive enough to leave people alone except when they really want you. It's a rapidly disappearing art. I groan when I hear "Hi, my name is xxx and I'll be your waiter tonight. Can I get you a drink?" a nanosecond after I sit down and before I've had a chance to look at the menu.

A group of us were at a local restaurant one night, and we had ordered a bottle of wine. The place was slammed, much beyond the capabilities of the meager staff. After asking numerous times for the wine, one enterprising friend got up from our table, walked into the kitchen, and grabbed an appealing bottle. When we asked the staff for a corkscrew, they finally responded.:)

Went last night for dinner - it was rather quiet. The service was excellent with the exception that they aren't always on top of pouring your wine for you. Had the chèvre rolls salad, mahi mahi and snapper (not shown on menu above). Everything was very good but I do miss the dessert trolley. Hopefully it returns for the high season. The rotisserie was not in use. IMHO the menu is very small currently - no canard or poulet for example.

No dessert trolley? Isle flottante from the top of the dessert trolley at Wall House was one of the highlights of my holidays!

right now its closed for vacation, might have a new menu for the reopening, and didn't Dennis Carlton say they were perhaps changing their name as well... as for the dessert trolley, I think its better not to leave food out for hours on end... thoughts?