Our first trip to St. Barths

Your review seems very objective and fair. We have been to a lot of the islands in the Caribbean but not Anguilla. We have always felt SBH is tops but after reading your report, we will try Anguilla as well. Thank you for completing all of your write up and responding to others' comments. Very insightful.

sorry....fresh local food is at the bottom of my gourmet food pyramid....its the base which holds everything else up...

its how I cook at home and what I expect at higher end joints...

frozen scallops..frozen Asian shrimp....frozen sole ( and other frozen imported fish )....frozen veggies....dont cut it....

and that aint changing...I do however see your point on rice, potatoes,and zuccini

and as always...YMMV
I don't think I have ever had frozen food there especially what you name. Local fish, lobster, steaks etc.

Many of us are not Italian, cook at home most nights and want vacation to be, well a holiday. We also stay more than a few nights and after mahi mahi for two or three weeks we love some variation in our lunches and dinners. Why deride our choices to eat what we want even if it is previously frozen?

As a posters once posted:

1. Spend money like it is your own. It is.
2. Do what you like, when you like. It is your vacation.
3. Eat what you want, when and where you want. It is your waistline and (see #1)
4. Drink what you want when you want. If your spouse likes red and you like white, buy one bottle of each. Life is short.
5. Stay in a villa, hotel, or a hole-in-the-wall depending on your whim, desire or see #1.
6. Cook in your villa (if a villa is your desire) if you want to. Go out for dinner if you like.
7. Plan ahead at least a day for dinner, or don't. Experience flexibility.
8. Go to a beach everyday, or stay by the pool at your hotel/villa.
9. Watch US TV at every opportunity, or not. It's your vacation.
10. Seek out the places that sell days-old New York Times, or current Times Fax. Do the crosswords, or don't.
11. Bring you laptop and surf the web morning, noon and night. Or leave it behind.
12. Make sure your cell has international roaming and call your homebound friends whilst splashing in the surf to engender envy. Or leave the cell at home.
13. Charge everything on your AmEx knowing that you are getting ripped off, or use your debit card at an ATM and pay cash.
14. Wake up extra early and be the first in line at the boulangerie and bring back bread for your spouse. Or take your spouse out for breakfast.
15. Bring your iPod and speakers, or listen to the local FM station.
16, Always rent a manual 4WD, or an automatic if you are more comfortable.
17. Bring hairdryers, curling irons and other instruments of torture, or go with the humid breezes.
18. Tip for meals, maids and massages, or not. See #1.
19. Research your villa/hotel selections and gain consensus that you have the best-of-the-best, or book on a whim and enjoy the surprise.
20. When you arrive, take off your shoes, take a deep breath and become one with the island, or head out to Match for some shopping.
21. Ride a bike, go for a run or go for a walk. Or, be a beach potato.

Bella,

Thanks for the report. I've seen many of the same differences between SBH and AXA, but missed on the food difference - I give the edge to SBH. The people difference was the one that caught my attention. While I have made many friends on SBH over the years, when I was on AXA I ran into numerous people, as you apparently did, who wanted to do anything in their power to make my first-time stay on AXA (more importantly, "their island") more enjoyable. Great people!

Now, on to to the comments of others. We're all different, and what works for one doesn't always work for others. Perhaps I should have mentioned Le Ti Marché Santé in Lorient to Bella, where fresh produce arrives on Thursday morning and is on the shelves in the afternoon - some of which are fruits and veggies that I don't recognize. Fresh fruits and veggies in a market don't necessarily substitute for good Vegan options in restaurants though, and my recollection is that Thursday wasn't one of Bella's limited days. While I think that I mentioned a few Vegetarian and/or Vegan dishes to Bella, I should make a personal point of making a mental note of others that I see on island menus. Bella isn't the first Vegan among us, and won't be the last. Not being a carnivore isn't a bad thing, it's just different.

As to fish, I can only say that the Striped Bass filet that Mike dropped off at my office yesterday afternoon, which was swimming yesterday morning, made a pretty good dinner last night. ("Lime juice, butter, cilantro, and baste the heck out of it" still works, LOL.) Today was the first day of Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) season at our local farmstand, and our farm basket was overflowing. The local Farmer's Market is back up and running (got some Fig Burrata coming at you Mike). All in all, it's a pretty good fresh and local food week for me.

Great trip report!!! I especially liked the comparison to Anguilla, where we've never been, but are closely considering!! A very close friend and superb artist/photographer and soon to be former neighbor is moving to Anguilla next month. Wants us to come visit. I think we shall!!!

thanks for sharing in such great detail

Perhaps I should have mentioned Le Ti Marché Santé in Lorient to Bella, where fresh produce arrives on Thursday morning and is on the shelves in the afternoon - some of which are fruits and veggies that I don't recognize. .

yes I second that place..wonderful..we got some great things there in April

Bella,
Thanks for your report, and the comparisons on St Barths vs Anguilla. we have been going to Anguilla for over 20 years, and St Barths for 15.....your observations were very spot-on. I probably would have given the food edge to St Barths, but I also eat meat ( not much, but the meat in SBh is outstanding).....bit I also agree that those food trucks in Anguilla are pretty awesome; and the sushi on that island is getting greater.
The best part of your report was about the people.....and we have met many friends in SBh over the years, whom we love......but as a first timer to Anguilla; there is something different about the unabashed way that they shower a newbie on their island with friendship, smiles and caring. I'm glad you got that too.
We will continue to visit both places; but for now, our hearts are a little more biased on the SBh side, so we have decided Anguilla is an every 2-3 yr trip; whereas SBh.....as much as we can!
Keep exploring !!!!!

I agree with Mike, go see the movie CHEF, not a freezer in sight.... it's a great champion of local food!

Quote from your first post: "We tried to find Nikki Beach last night but couldn't."

It's only open for lunch and completely dark at night so it's very easy to miss when you're very close to it.

I didn't expect to win friends with my food review, and that's ok! :D

For those of you considering going to Anguilla, it's worth the trip! Again, St Barths landscape beats it by a wide mile but the beaches, people, and food are wonderful.

Gorgeous First trip to St.barts its very good trip of the first time now you know everything deeply about the barts lovely environment there and hotels are also much gorgeous but no doubt its costly any ways best of luck...