Tomato Tartare in La Carre - New Franck's Creation

Leon

SBH Insider
On our latest trip to La Carre we noticed a new (at least for me) item on the lunch menu - Tomato Tartare, modeled of course on the Beef Tartare. It tasted as good as it looked. Very interesting dish indeed.
IMGP0745.jpg

And just to add a balance, old and still yummy Egg Coddler from the same masterful kitchen. Egg Coddler.jpg

I've had the tomato tartare -- it's great and very reminiscent of steak tartare. Franck has a winner here (among many from his kitchen).

I think I am going to have an abundance of tomatoes this summer and was wondering about the tomato tartare. What spices, etc are in it?

If I were to experiment on my own, I would seek out a recipe for beef tartare, and I would use the same spices with diced oven-roasted tomatoes.

Beef Tartare is raw. The Tomato dish at Le Carré is made with Roasted Tomato, which, in combination with the spices, tastes a lot like the Classic Beef Tartare. From the menu:

Tartare de Tomates Rôties Façon Classique, comme le Bœuf
Roasted Tomato Tartare , Classic way just like Beef

It also tastes like Beef Tartare, which was the intent. As Franck related the story to me, after he was satisfied with the recipe he had his chef come over for a blind tasting, and asked him what it was that he had just eaten. The chef's response - Beef Tartare.

Speaking of raw beef LeRepaire and Andy's make a fabulous carpaccio. Also done with tuna at LeRepaire.