Trip Report -- March 4 - 19, 2014

rivertrash

Senior Insider
For the first time in a long time my wife and I were able to enjoy the island with just the two of us. No posse! Very nice and relaxing. This was before Bucket week and, although we have enjoyed the Bucket in years past, it was good to be on the island when it was a little quieter.

Our plan was to drive to Dallas on Tuesday, March 4 to fly from DFW to San Juan, but on Sunday night we had a massive ice storm that shut down most everything Monday, including I-20 for several hours. Realizing we might not be able to make it to the airport the next day, I decided, against my wife's better judgment, that we should just get in my truck and drive very slowly to the airport and spend the night at a hotel there. So, we loaded up and drove. Slowly. Slipping. Sliding. Our normal 2 hour drive took 5 1/2 hours and we were absolutely worn out from the tension. But we made it!

AA flight on Tuesday was without incident and we arrived at the San Juan Airport Hotel that evening. We have stayed at this airport several times. Not fancy, but being able to just get up, get dressed and walk to the Tradewinds counter is worth giving up a little comfort. (Well, it is to me. Wife has not given up the fight on that.)

That night we had another great meal in Old San Juan at Marmalade. On Wednesday morning we flew to St Barth on Tradewinds and by 9:00 a.m. we were hugging Rosita. We got our car from Gumbs and were soon off to La Baleine.

As usual, we ate lots of good meals, tried out a couple of new restaurants and mainly just relaxed. We saw a few resident friends and acquaintances and a few SBH Online friends. Had a wonderful dinner with A&P at L'Isola. Spent one day on the beach at Eden Rock. Spent most of the time just hanging out at the villa. I actually don't remember doing anything else. I think that's why I liked this trip so much.

Tradewinds to San Juan and AA to Dallas, via Miami, were without incident. When we arrived in Dallas the ice had left and the drive home was also not eventful. As is my habit, I stopped on the way home and picked up the requisite Whataburger. And another successful trip to SBH came to an end.

Last edited:
I find we are doing more and more in villa hanging out too. Dick, it's ok to do nothing.

Nice report! It was fun running into you at La Gloriette -- along with Marius and Alain :)

Great report, Dick. So sorry we just missed seeing you this year since we left on March 2nd. We had a similar "Best" list to yours. It is fun to look back and do one's own little review. We've never tried Marmalade in San Juan but since that is our though-route every year, we'll put it on our list. Hugs to Cecie. Maybe we'll overlap in 2015.

sorry I missed seeing you this year, I flew from DFW to SBH on one day on March 30 (DFW-MIA-SJU-SBH AA & Tradewind) but it was a killer starting at 5:45am.. but I didn't want to have to overnight...

sorry I missed seeing you this year, I flew from DFW to SBH on one day on March 30 (DFW-MIA-SJU-SBH AA & Tradewind) but it was a killer starting at 5:45am.. but I didn't want to have to overnight...
We live 2 hours from DFW, so for us to make that itinerary we would have to leave the house about 2:30 a.m. And we like to be able to spend the night in San Juan so we can make it to Marmalade!