Gustav Burgers

We were there tonight. Great views of the harbor. Many locals.

The options for burgers were varied. The sweet potato fries were great. The burgers were a bit rare for me but were juicy and very good.

I tried to to practice my French (and am clearly not good at it!) but the waiter rushed away to find someone else to speak English for us. One waitress did and was helpful but we got some funny looks from those around us. It was the only time where I've felt uncomfortable with the language barrier.

Well, that's unfortunate. Thanks for the report. That location has been a bit odd since the new owners took over a few years ago. They have yet to find a concept that works for them, and Gustav Burgers is their latest attempt.

Without hearing the conversation I can't comment on what the difficulty was, which could be anything from the waiter's ear not being accustomed to your particular accent to his English being non-existent or worse than your French. The important thing is that you made an effort to communicate in French, and that they had someone available to communicate in English when that didn't work out.

I can say that I've gotten a few odd looks when my pronunciation and annunciation have been imprecise. For example, there's the French word for lightning, foudre, which I've used, but has been heard by others as the French f-word (substitute "t" for "d").

Went by the place late morning and appeared to be nice landing spot for wifi users from the boats. Later it had lots of tables full and looked inviting but I personally did not eat there but mentally added it to the list.