Toiny Hike

andynap

Senior Insider
This is the reverse of Tim's Hiking Tip number 6.

PEG'S BLOG

Enjoy Another Exhilarating Activity in St. Barth and Hike to Pointe à Toiny
Posted: 25 Apr 2014 08:18 AM PDT
John Casey, the very skilled catamaran sailor who races in the St. Barth CataCup each year and is vying for a spot on the 2016 Olympic Team in Rio, read my blog about the hike to Washing Machine and the Natural Pools. He suggests another great trail for you to try and is sharing his enthusiasm for the hike to Pointe à Toiny in today’s guest blog.
[h=3]A TYPICAL DAY ON A NOT SO TYPICAL ISLAND BY JOHN CASEY[/h]A majority of my time in St. Barth is spent on the water racing by popular beaches and jagged points, but that’s only where the adventurebegins. While I’m not sailing, I enjoy staying fit and doing activities far from everyday life. As soon as we drive east from Gustavia Harbor, the reality of being on a pristine island in seclusion really sets in.
My best day on the island was with my fiancée. Well, she’s my wife now. I think the trips to St. Barth helped seal the deal! We slept in, which is also easy to do on the island, and woke up with the trade winds blowing through Villa Les Mouettes one of St. Barth Properties delightful villas in Vitet.
Villa Les Mouettes

With a good’s night sleep we decided to go on a hike. I’ve been to the island many times, but there was still a place I hadn’t been to yet, Pointe à Toiny. I realized I hadn’t been there because the hike to Grand Fond’s Washing Machine and Natural Pools that Peg describes is such a good one.
When we looked off of our porch that morning a quick shower passed through and greeted us with a rainbow.
A pretty rainbow appeared in the view from our villa Les Mouettes that morning

We decided to go for a café au lait and some quick eats for the hike, so we stopped by Maya’s To Go. Carolina decided on Salmon and edamame salad. I had a very tasty quinoa-mandarin orange bowl.
Carolina holding the door open for me, so nice!

I really looked forward to this hike. I’ve sailed around the island so many times and saw the cliffs of Toiny, but I always thought the windward side of the island wasn’t habitable. I did know it’s the most treacherous part of the island to sail by with its large waves and unforgiving rocks.
We snaked on winding roads from St. Jean to Hotel Le Toiny and pulled up the road leading to the hotel. It seems like there is nowhere to go after pulling in, but we drove straight by the hotel to a small gravel area on the right with room to park. From there we walked down a small grassy road toward Pointe à Toiny. The view kept getting better.
This hike is extra special since it’s on the windward side of the island. The breeze blows over Pt. Toiny making for a relaxing cool hike.
We begin not far from Hotel Le Toiny

Pt. Toiny to some is easy rock climbing, but be careful because a majority of the rocks are loose and you can lose your footing easily.
Carolina gets daring on the rocks

Along the paths there are a few benches which give you a chance to enjoy the view. We took the opportunity to eat our Maya’s snacks and just soak in the beauty of the south side of the island.
We took time to enjoy the view as well as our snacks

After the hike we were famished again. On St. Barth I exercise more so I’m hungrier and anxious to eat the delicious varieties ofgastronomique delights offered throughout the island. Tapas at Txerri Gorria were on the docket that night. I describe it as decadent. In the States I just don’t have the opportunity to enjoy perfectly tender thin sliced duck or foie gras with Himalayan sea salt, which were two of my favorites. The brie was creamy, the wine tasty and I even had a Jade organic beer.
Then there were four more days just as perfect. Thank you St. Barth!
pC8RJjFuT-U

Email delivery powered by Google

Well done. We did the hike on a hot day and then enjoyed a post-hike skinny dip at the small Le Toiny beach. The water was quite calm that day so it was safe for a quick dip.

Until we read this version of Peg's Blog we have hesitated to do the Le Toiny hike- no more. On our bucket list for next visit. Also going to the Red Pig! We must be blind as we go to St. Jean all of the time but have never seen it. Where is it located- up the hill?

Until we read this version of Peg's Blog we have hesitated to do the Le Toiny hike- no more. On our bucket list for next visit. Also going to the Red Pig! We must be blind as we go to St. Jean all of the time but have never seen it. Where is it located- up the hill?

It's the old Le Bistroy Absolutely Wine in the little shopping center

We know where Absolutely Wine was. When did Peg write this blog? That is why we don't know where the Red Pig is because it is no more apparently! Who can confirm? Sounds like it will not be missed- but Peg liked it! Easy come easy go!

Did you read Peg's Blog? It was posted on 4/25. But she relates a story by someone else who did the hike. Txerri Gorria was discussed a lot in this forum and appears in Kevin's resto list as of January 2014.

Did you read Peg's Blog? It was posted on 4/25. But she relates a story by someone else who did the hike. Txerri Gorria was discussed a lot in this forum and appears in Kevin's resto list as of January 2014.
Hopper is behind in his reading.

The author of this particular blog for SBP was on SBH in November.....we have mutual friends, and are in touch---- coincidental to this published blog. Very nice guy.

When I get to Villa Creole to shop I'll confirm the demise of Cochon Rouge. I think that it blew out at the end of March.

We know where Absolutely Wine was. When did Peg write this blog? That is why we don't know where the Red Pig is because it is no more apparently! Who can confirm? Sounds like it will not be missed- but Peg liked it! Easy come easy go!
Again, Peg didn't write this blog. John Casey did. He was on the island in mid November.......