Flying Delta February 2015

KenT

SBH Member
We have found a very attractive fare using Delta. PHL-JFK-SXM, leaving 7 AM - arriving SXM 2:20 PM - with a 1 1/2 hr. layover in JFK.

Returning SXM-ATL-PHL. Leaving 4:20 PM arriving PHL 11:50 PM with a 2 1/2 hr. layover in ATL.

Our main concern is the reliability of Delta to the Caribbean. I seem to recall prior posts complaining about Delta cancelling or changing flights in the month before. Of course this could have been in low season. We would be flying out on a Monday and returning on a Wed. in February. If anyone has any prior experience or thoughts about the Delta flight out of JFK and the return flight thru ATL to PHL, we would appreciate any input. Also, would the layover time in JFK be enough as we do not have any experience flying out of JFK. Thanks for any advice. Ken & Mary

I would be hesitant booking delta that far out. We booked round trip on delta last July for our trip next month. They later cancelled and re-booked both flights. Several more layovers, and an additional overnight layover. I called and was told they often show specific flights and allow tickets to be purchased, and later if they don't book enough tickets they cancel the flight. I won't try that again.

We have found a very attractive fare using Delta. PHL-JFK-SXM, leaving 7 AM - arriving SXM 2:20 PM - with a 1 1/2 hr. layover in JFK.

Returning SXM-ATL-PHL. Leaving 4:20 PM arriving PHL 11:50 PM with a 2 1/2 hr. layover in ATL.

Our main concern is the reliability of Delta to the Caribbean. I seem to recall prior posts complaining about Delta cancelling or changing flights in the month before. Of course this could have been in low season. We would be flying out on a Monday and returning on a Wed. in February. If anyone has any prior experience or thoughts about the Delta flight out of JFK and the return flight thru ATL to PHL, we would appreciate any input. Also, would the layover time in JFK be enough as we do not have any experience flying out of JFK. Thanks for any advice. Ken & Mary

If you haven't book yet check the EWR to SXM flight on United.

In high season, which February is, you're probably OK. In low season, any DL schedule to SXM other than a Saturday non-stop should be considered an estimation of an approximation of what they might like to fly. I have several hundred thousand DL miles, but never consider using them for my low season Caribbean travel.

Southbound, your layover in JFK should be more than adequate. I would be more concerned about Immigration and Customs times if you were going through JFK Northbound. Mike will have an update on that in a few weeks.

You are more adventurous than I am. I already booked USAIR non-stop for Feb 20.

I took a quick look and see that both American and US Air have non stops Phila to San Juan and back and then you could connect to Tradewinds Aviation direct to SBH. You avoid the winter storms mess connections at JFK or other northern US locations but the total fare for both flights will probably be more than what you have found thus far. If you have not flown Tradewinds, once you do, you will be spoiled. It is a wonderful little airline.
Good luck!

Ken & Mary, (good photo by the way!)

We flew Delta from Washington, DC this past Feb. Original tickets were from Dulles through Atlanta. Several months before, Lance checked on the flights and discovered that they had cancelled the 6 am flight from Dulles and
the flight they put us on got in with something like a 20 minute connection. (not through Atlanta - and not in February!) We were able to change it to a 6 am flight out of National. We live 15 minutes from Dulles - not happy about the trip to National airport at 3:30 am! We also had to fly home through National. BUT - if the price is right …….