Peg's Blog- some new, some old

andynap

Senior Insider
[h=1]Peg's Blog[/h]

Some St. Barth tidbits for April 2014. What’s up?
Posted: 17 Apr 2014 09:05 AM PDT
[h=3]Just a short note today to update you on the latest news around here…[/h]Les Coulisses restaurant in Gustavia has closed. The harbor side restaurant formerly was the home of Harbour’s. Me Gusta has just moved there from St. Jean and offers tapas with a Portuguese flair. I am going to try it and report back.
Me Gusta restaurant is now located on the harbor

Pipiri Palace is open for lunch now! You can get French delights such as Croque Monsieur or an omelette and they have a daily special“Formule” for only 16 euros.
In addition to dinner, try Pipiri Palace for lunch

Oasis grocery store in Lorient has extended its hours. It is now open from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm every single day including Christmas.
La Table de Jules (formerly K’fé Massai) in Lorient is closed for good. I wonder what will replace it? The sushi bar, Koya in the corner section of the restaurant is still open.
The Yacht Club nightclub in Gustavia is closed. (Carole of Le Ti St. Barth is the owner.) She has replaced it with The First Floor which is located upstairs above The Yacht Club. There is late night entertainment quite often. For you night owls, it is open Sunday-Thursday from 10:00 pm until 4:00 am and for you die-hards it stays open until 6:00 am on Fridays and Saturdays. Be aware that the venue has been enclosed to keep the noise from disturbing the neighbors and it can be very smoky. (I don’t understand why I see people smoking in some restaurants and night spots here because it is against the law in France but that is another story.)
Nightclub The First is on the First Floor (2nd floor to Americans)

R. Barth, the fancy rhum store has shuttered its doors. The entire contents of the shop including the very expensive old rum, other rums, furniture, a computer and glassware among other things will be auctioned off at 10:00 am April 23, 2014.
Au Revoir, R. St. Barth. We are sorry to see you go.

The Black Swan closed its Gustavia store but their larger boutique in St. Jean is open and still has a great selection of beachwear, t-shirts and casual clothing.
Les Soldes: French law dictates when the shops are allowed to have their Soldes (sales) in various areas. In France, for example, there is a period in January when this is allowed to take place but of course at that time of the year St. Barth is in the midst of High Season so full price, it is. People love the shopping here; many say the designer boutiques offer much better pricing than they can get at home.
Don’t miss out on Les Soldes

The dates for Les Soldes in 2014 were just announced. You will find a lot of items on sale with the exception of the Nouvelle Collections.
Mark your calendars and get ready to shop ‘til you drop May 03-June 06 and October 11-November 14, 2014.
If you haven’t booked your hotel or villa yet just email me or contact reservations@stbarth.com (1-800-421-3396) and we will begin the process to get you here ASAP.
Enjoy!
The shopping in St. Barth is a must-do

I'm not surprised that La Table de Jules closed given that hardly anyone here had reported on it.

A shame Jules closed. We really enjoyed our meal there. Cool decorum and setting. I believe I had the tenderloin and it was much, much better than the tenderloin I had at Le Gaiac.

Just wanted to confirm, but is Black Swan the name of the shop with the 120 Linen sign in the picture? The one just down the road from Le Select? If that's the one, I never knew the name. Just called it the 120 Linen store. My wife will be quite sad. Every time we went she would buy a pile of linen things from that shop. She would buy so much the saleswoman gave her things. One year when my wife was feeling in a particular acquisitive mode, the saleswoman directed me to pick any cigar I wanted from the walk in humidor and told me to take it to Le Select and get a drink, smoke the cigar and wait for my wife. That was an expensive shopping trip despite the free cigar.

Happily for your wife, the 120% Lino store is not Black Swan. Black Swan was one of the shops between Hermes and Le Repaire, across from the municipal parking lot.

I also have a weakness for the 120% lino shop. I have a great St Barth wardrobe that also works here on Long Island and that will travel with me to California. Excellent craftsmanship and good quality in their vibrant colored linen pants and tops from Italy. They have men's shirts too. And Panama hats.

Me too, Amy! I also have a question. What was the name of the long gone, and greatly missed by me, store that sold lovely linens in the place that recently does glass engraving?

We also liked the Table de Jules. It seems like the location has a hex as l' kefe Maasai (SP.?), the previous restaurant closed there before.
We are fans of 120% Linen as well .