Hotels gone bye bye

GeorgeD

SBH Insider
Hi All,
What happened to the Carl Gustuv? What happened to Francois plantation? What was the hotel near Gloriette that was torn down and now is being rebuilt? It that project still underwater? Our old map shows a La Toiny location near the airport and one near the existing location on the east end of the island, was there another location? This will challenge you history buffs, but it of real interest.

Thanks,
George

Add Hotel L'Hibiscus to the "gone bye bye" list, as well as the Marigot Bay Club, the St Barth Beach Hotel, The Filao, the PLM Jean Bart, and Autour du Rocher. There are two more that I can't remember the names of, one next to the Marigot Bay Club that went condo (Seahorse maybe?), and one next to the Ile de France that was "Luis'd".

There are lots of rumors on SBH, some of which may have a grain or two of truth on them, and some of which may have none. The Goose is said to have been unprofitable, and is being sold after the death of the owner. Francois Plantation is said to have been bought by a merchant banker, who would now rather break it up and sell it as villa lots than to refurbish it as a hotel. Truth or fiction, I can't say.

The St Barth Beach Hotel project appears to have the same owners as Hotel Taïwana. The project is once again under construction.

I don't recall a Le Toiny near the airport.

A few photos of the new construction at GCdS

Attachments

• IMG_8967.jpg
    IMG_8967.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 820
  • IMG_8981.jpg
    IMG_8981.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 847
  • IMG_8983.jpg
    IMG_8983.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 851
There was one in Pointe Milou called Les Igloos with a restaurant called En Provence or something like that, now small bungalows that were sold individually. I don't think there was ever a hotel called Toiny near the airport...but then again I don't remember the Marigot Bay Club having any rooms. But there was a hotel in Anse des Cayes called Yuana (U-wanna, which means Iguana) but that is also now apartments...the one on Flamands that was Luis'd was called La Baie des Flamands (had a great salt water pool..)... some huge villas on that land now...

I had forgotten about Les Igloos, and I had toured the place at one point, as well as having friends stay there. I have a foggy memory of eating at the restaurant too.

Marigot Bay Club had 6 rooms across the street from the restaurant, running up the hillside on 3 levels. I stayed there several times for short stays. Most of them eventually morphed into studio apartments. They would have been included in the sale of the restaurant.

I never visited Hotel Yuana, but I know people who used to stay there. They may even own there now.

For some reason I can never remember the name of the Baie des Flamands hotel. Could a hotel name possibly be any more obvious? We used to enjoy lunch in their restaurant.

For some reason I can never remember the name of the Baie des Flamands hotel. Could a hotel name possibly be any more obvious? We used to enjoy lunch in their restaurant.

and the trivia question of the day, the name of that restaurant was.....????

I'll go with La Frégate. If that's not correct then I have no clue. I do remember a nice millefeuille dessert though.

I'll go with Kevin . . . I think it was La Frégate. Re: MBC rooms, Christian Liaigre renovated them in stunning contemporary fashion (and reduced the number, i believe) when he purchased the former restaurant. I think that they're now long-term rentals.

Trois Forces
We stayed at the Sea Horse when Coco was little. Then we found out that our room was a cooking school off season

How could I forget Trois Forces, with it's minefield parking lot, Hubert's mustache, and a macy classic dinners over the years?

Two additonal "gone bye bye" hotels are Les Castelets and La Banane.

Hubert read my tea leaves and told me and my ex we were "soul mates destined for a lifetime together"...so much for tea leave reading..:uncomfortableness:

and it astounds me how closely some of you follow the lives and the coming and goings of the islanders.....I have a hard enough time keeping up with my real time friends and family - never mind anyone else

and whatever happened to Les Residence up the hill from St Barts Beach Hotel and and also owned by the Turbes?

we stayed there for a few years

I think they are year round apts now... for worker types...

gotcha,,,they were really nice when they first opened up,,,,,but no maintenance on them afterwards and the constant ack ack noise of Toiny being built sent us packing and off to greener pastures