EDEN ROCK - ST BARTHS AND OETKER COLLECTION

JEK

Senior Insider
2013-05-15-35704-img01.jpg
Dear Guest, Client and Friend

Jane and I wish to put you in the picture about a welcome bit of news.

The idea is to find more strength to help us improve more and more going forwards year on year.

Eden Rock Group in St Barths continues to be a Matthews family business.

Hoping that all is well with you and family and looking forward to seeing you soon.

With kindest regards

David and Jane

E D E N R O C K - S T B A R T H S | R E L A I S & C H A T E A U X
ST JEAN BAY - ST BARTHELEMY - 97133 F.W.I.
T: + 590 590 29 79 99 | F: + 590 590 27 88 37
TOLL FREE USA / CANADA: +1 855 333 67 62
WWW.EDENROCKHOTEL.COM

EDEN ROCK - ST BARTHS AND OETKER COLLECTION
Oetker Collection, the most prestigious European luxury hotel company, and the legendary Eden Rock – St Barths are to collaborate on the fabulous island of St Barths F.W.I.

Oetker Collection, with its iconic properties and its incredible following of well-travelled international clientele will manage the core hotel business on a day-by-day basis and will assist in further developing the Eden Rock Villa Rental business (ERVR). Additionally a property design and construction firm 'Propco' will be enhanced.

David Matthews continues as Executive Chairman of the Eden Rock Group of companies in St Barths and stated: "A partnership has been created: the Matthews Family as Owner Partner and the Oetker Collection as Manager Partner. St Barths is such an interesting place now and is unique in the world. There is so much more we can do together in St Barths and for the good of the island too." David added that "at present Eden Rock Group in St Barths comprises 5 businesses and our linking with Oetker will put additional management gas in the tank to help us go further and always with world-class quality."

Frank Marrenbach, CEO of Oetker Collection stated: "True masterpiece hotels are like gold nuggets – nearly impossible to find. Eden Rock was created by fine hard-working people and is a shining example of true hospitality. We are very happy to be back in St Barths, the principle destination in the Caribbean and we are absolutely delighted to welcome Eden Rock – our eighth masterpiece hotel within the Oetker Collection.

Eden Rock is a member of Relais & Chateaux and shares the pleasure of welcoming many guests in common with Le Bristol Paris, Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc on the French Riviera or the recently opened l'Apogee Courchevel. Enormous synergy exists between our ultraluxe hotels in France, the Seychelles, Morocco, Germany and St Barths.

I look forward with great enthusiasm to this partnership enhancing our global offering by extending our portfolio from Europe via the Indian Ocean and now on to the Caribbean. We are very confident in the success of Eden Rock with the Matthews' ownership loyally committed to the island of St Barths now partnering with the know-how of the Oetker Collection which has been managing fine hotels since 1923 in Baden Baden."

Built 70 years ago and located on a rocky promontory in St Jean Bay, surrounded by white coral sandy beaches, clear blue sea and a coral reef full of wild sea life, during the past decade Eden Rock has been regularly nominated amongst the world's best hotels by media and readers alike.

Eden Rock – St Barths provides impeccable attention to detail, unparalleled levels of service and housekeeping, with a driven commitment to creating a unique destination for the world's elite vacationers – and all in a relaxed and good-humoured way with a friendly and efficient team.

The hotel offers 34 highly individual accommodations located "on the rock" and dotted along the beach or set within lush green gardens. Each guest room or suite is individually decorated by Jane Matthews in her unique style, providing a generous and non-corporate approach. Villa Nina and Villa Rockstar (16 000 sq ft including a recording studio featuring the legendary Neve mixing console used by John Lennon to record his "Imagine" music) complete the accommodation offer.

Eden Rock – St Barths' Executive Chef is world famous Jean-Georges Vongerichten who drives exciting menus celebrating 'the best of' his personal favourite dishes at "On The Rocks" for dinner. Whereas lunch at Eden Rock is sparked by the brilliant New York City ABC kitchen concept of Jean-Georges and is especially adapted for The Sand Bar and the Caribbean region.

The Eden Rock Art Gallery, Rockshop fashion boutique, watersports, diving, yachting and fishing compete within the endless list of activities... unless guests prefer just to enjoy a perfect day chilling at the beach. All of this on the independent and celebrated island of St Barths, French West Indies.

ABOUT OETKER COLLECTION

Oetker Collection is one of the most inspiring selections of masterpiece hotels in the world. The name 'Masterpiece Hotels' includes a pledge; a commitment to provide service of the highest quality, every hour of every day. The pearl as a symbol combines singularity, beauty and quality. The individual pearls bind together to form a unique string of pearls.

Each property is one-of-a-kind, reflecting the unique European heritage and sharing the highest levels of service internationally with exceptional and historic architecture & interiors combining with great attention to detail.

Oetker Collection embraces eight luxury hotels:

L'Apogée Courchevel – a luxury chalet with a warm and family atmosphere offering the most desirable skiing experience at the top of Courchevel 1850 in the French Alps.

Brenners Park-Hotel & Spa – the most iconic grand hotel, amidst a sprawling private park in Baden-Baden, Germany. The historic Villa Stéphanie will soon open its doors to offer Europe's most refined and innovative spa experience.

Le Bristol Paris – an authentic Parisian palace, the ultimate reference for French Art-de-Vivre, ideally located on the prestigious rue du Faubourg St-Honoré.

Château Saint-Martin & Spa – a romantic chateau of excellence nestled in the heart of Provence, boasting breathtaking views over the Mediterranean coastline.

Eden Rock - St Barths – a luxurious retreat in Saint-Barths built on a rocky promontory, surrounded by white sandy beaches, and turquoise sea; French art de vivre in the heart of the Caribbean

Fregate Island Private – a jewel of conservation featuring lush forest, wild fauna, and overlooking the crystal waters of the Seychelles. Unique on the Planet.

Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc – a legendary luxury hotel at the centre of a scenic private park, where old-world glamour meets modern luxury at the tip of the Cap d'Antibes.

Palais Namaskar – a peaceful oasis with contemporary and sophisticated design set in the Palmeraie, the most exclusive residential area in Marrakech.

More information: www.oetkercollection.com and www.edenrockhotel.com

Very interesting. When we were in Paris last fall we stayed at Le Bristol and chatted with the manager about Oetker's presence in St. Barth--she mentioned that the company viewed SBH as a critical market.

I wish them good things. Oetker had targeted St Barth, and I am glad that they have come up with a wining property to add to their roster.

I do remember that interest and met some of the team when they were at IdF. Nice folks and I am glad that they have another chance to be on the island.

Why use the word revenge, a word with negative connotations? They wanted to be on island and they were able to put a plan B in play. Sounds like a good business decision to me. We met some Oetker principals at the IdF fashion show when that merger was developing and I will say again, they were very nice St Barth loving folks.

I don't think Oetker was at all pleased with the outcome of their IdF venture. They had just recently signed a management contract with the owners when LVMH ousted them. Perhaps Oetker ends up with the sweeter plum???

Very interesting. When we were in Paris last fall we stayed at Le Bristol and chatted with the manager about Oetker's presence in St. Barth--she mentioned that the company viewed SBH as a critical market.

The Bristol is my favorite Paris hotel. I have many fond memories....

The Bristol is my favorite Paris hotel. I have many fond memories....
We enjoyed our stay there. The property is lovely and the service very warm and genuine. I look forward to hearing more about Oetker's plans for Eden Rock, an already exceptional property.

In February I observed David Matthews climbing all over the Rock trimming plants and replacing stones on the walls. I wonder if he will continue with that attention to detail under the new arrangement. I think he probably will.

I think you're right, John . . . enormous pride of ownership in that family! Regarding any possible displeasure by Oetker with break-up of the IdF relationship, as Cassidain queried, I am of the impression that Oetker was sorry to lose it, but that the agreement had a mechanism for such an occurrence . . . and that the terms included significant compensation for Oetker.

I sincerely hope Bruno has a couple more rounds in him to keep big money from trampling the rather small scale unique flavor and heritage of St Barths, with LVMH scale presumptiveness.

To me anyway, it seems super fair for bizmen Charlie and David to sell what they painstakingly built, for sure. Point taken -- this is a valuable right being exercised. But is the visitor experience any-the-better? What more tweeks can we not do without that will come from these big outside companies, which need nothing but more earnings for their largely off isle owners?(apart, perhaps, from just more bragging rights; bragging rights over something which they did not make, but merely bought -- just ask the senior idf crew how they like the new big biz ways of one boss one day, another the next, and still not sleeping well --these are the kind people who directly serve the visitor and smile with sincerity to chat together) What real hospitality uniqueness can any very distant and arms length investor possibly add that will exceed the cost of losing nearby, locally relevant and caring owners -- the very people who made what is already so sought?

Even though it's just one or two hotels, and we'll surely always love St Barths regardless, I really hope the isle can protect its small unique character.

If I am reading the original article correctly the Matthews family remains the owner and Oetker is the management company.

"What real hospitality uniqueness can any very distant and arms length investor possibly add that will exceed the cost of losing nearby, locally relevant and caring owners. . .?" From personal experience, I would say that it depends on the distant investor.

"What real hospitality uniqueness can any very distant and arms length investor possibly add that will exceed the cost of losing nearby, locally relevant and caring owners. . .?" From personal experience, I would say that it depends on the distant investor.

I agree, Le Toiny is as lovely as ever and owned by a group of investors from Austin TX if I understand correctly...

Of course.

For instance, our one stay at Normandie was a great experience in care for us during our stay, and also an obvious wonderful improvement of a hotel redevelopment opportunity, no matter the investors' postal code (though also, notably, with kind and capable Miss Wendy as owner on site).

And to your comment, investors vary -- lvmh is a public company, no different than Marriott, for example. To me, this is a wholely different type of proprietor, tasked exclusively with tending to earnings owed to millions of stockholders scattered afar. It will feel weird knowing that now there is no owner at IdF to chat with, since the owner is no longer a person, or group of persons. That one specific pleasure, for example, really is gone.

Whether it be at a hotel or favorite restaurant or shop, we always look forward to saying hi or being remembered by the various local owners. All of these little day to day shop, bakery, restaurant experiences --they are much of the charm of St Barth which I hope will not be eroded by the arrival and influence of big hospitality corporations.

Thanks for complimenting our work at the Normandie, Dave . . . and Wendy is glowing over your appreciative comment! (As you may know, the Normandie held the record for the fastest transatlantic ship crossing for several years (main competition was the Queen Mary) and was thought by many to be the "greatest of ocean liners." I, thus, recently noted with interest that Remy de Haenen sailed as part of the Normandie crew fpr 8 months . . . it would have been fun to have heard his stories of life aboard the ship.)

You're and Wendy are welcome, Dennis -- after all it is you two who have done the heavy lifting . . . all we did was check in and enjoy!!

Also, thanks for the reminder about the Normandie liner. I think I knew the history a while ago, but managed to forget about it entirely. So I instantly had an "ahah" moment as I realized the reasoning for the round porthole style windows throughout the hotel. (makes me wonder what else I may have already forgotten about SBH, one of my most favorite places!)

And, yes, for sure, as I also refreshed my history of Remy de Haenen, it seems like the Normandie would have been a very suitable habitat for Remy and his inclinations, indeed!!!