EDEN ROCK - ST BARTHS AND OETKER COLLECTION

The day after becoming part of the Oetker Collection, Eden Rock raised the prices on their summer special. A Rock Classic went from 825 Euros per night to 1,050 and we were contacting them to book it. I was very surprised because on their website they had a page showing the lower prices for all room types. Even though it was still posted online and on their website, I then sent the reservation department a link to their website with the lower rates, they wouldn't honor it. The response, thank you for informing us of the issue and we are working to correct it. Not sure if joining Oetker made their service worse in only one day or will improve it in the future but wonder how they get such high rankings for service? To me honoring posted, published prices is key in giving good service.

The day after becoming part of the Oetker Collection, Eden Rock raised the prices on their summer special. A Rock Classic went from 825 Euros per night to 1,050 and we were contacting them to book it. I was very surprised because on their website they had a page showing the lower prices for all room types. Even though it was still posted online and on their website, I then sent the reservation department a link to their website with the lower rates, they wouldn't honor it. The response, thank you for informing us of the issue and we are working to correct it. Not sure if joining Oetker made their service worse in only one day or will improve it in the future but wonder how they get such high rankings for service? To me honoring posted, published prices is key in giving good service.

This is very interesting. A couple of days ago I received an email from IDF with their Summer Promotions and the prices have also gone up dramatically from last year. My guess is that both hotels will continue to be full, although I question the wisdom of refusing to honor a price that was still live on line. Time will tell.

Phil

Bummer. But thanks for mentioning, gents.

Hmmm . . . perhaps a 25 percent increase (wow) . . . but in exchange for what betterment? The island already seems to have enough price defense in general, and these two already top hotels -- can they really get that much better? I suppose maybe.

Many years ago my father explained to me his view of one not-so-obvious-but-very-important reason for paying attention to prices, and pricing of goods and services in general. To paraphrase, he said that if demand is reckless or even merely indifferent in accepting pricing increases, then demand is complicit in causing inflation -- which generally hurts maybe not all, but most. No one here need agree or disagree, but since then I have generally found this accurate.

If IdF and ER appear to competing villa owners to be able to raise their prices (in ER example) by 25+ percent, this will not go unnoticed. It might not hold at the lower and middle, but it also might, even just some. For those operating with a finite budget (versus not), this could definitely reduce the affordable length of time, which would be a real loss for many.

It may be that summer is no longer such a low season for hotels.

I think that may be the case. We have been coming in July for more than 20 years and we've noticed a steady increase in the number of people on the Island. Perhaps the new owners are testing the waters.

Phil

I think that may be the case. We have been coming in July for more than 20 years and we've noticed a steady increase in the number of people on the Island. Perhaps the new owners are testing the waters.

Phil

Let's hope, Phil. Lots of folks who dearly love St Barths still count their pennies.

But Oetker's experience on the Med throughout summertime might blind it. Their other ER is rather commanding.

Maybe the fact that Eden Rock raised their prices last minute will work out for the best for us, I think I had an inflated expectation of the quality of service and rooms at Eden Rock. After seeing how they just didn't care that they had rates on their website that were different than what they were quoting, felt that their could have been other issues once we got to the hotel that would have been a big disappointment. The 825 Euros per day was a big splurge and we intended to just relax on the beach, well my Wife wanted it, more than me. Now we will be staying at a Villa and getting to know the island and culture much better.

Even though Oetker may be considered big money, they have outstanding hotels in their collection and they have only become better under their management. All in all, this is good news for the island.

Westcoast, sounds like ER's loss is your gain. Getting to know the island better is normally a good thing. If you're up to it, my suggestion is to explore on foot as much as possible.

I am happy to report that after this "merger" that Eden Rock is better than ever. Not that customer service was ever bad, but the new management has upped their game.

Reception is now at ground level and the old reception is the art gallery. Checkin occurs in the room as the guest is taken directly to the suite/room. First morning for breakfast there is an eye on the screen and then a hearty "welcome back". Names are remembered throughout the stay and the managers are involved in a subtle way. Some island friends had a rushed lunch service due to an impending wedding on the beach and were given a fully complimentary lunch the next week. David Matthews is still on the scene and involved (witness his collecting of twigs from the beach) and seems to enjoy the division of labor.

Oh, the food seemed better than ever, but perhaps it is just the rosé and the view!

11025548_10153129294747348_1013296376_o.jpg

11088669_10153120662217348_1977127837_o.jpg

Thanks for the update. We are staying there for the first time in a week and a half. We can't wait!!!

So as we read the post, the Matthews family continues to own Eden Rock and they have hired Oetker to manage it. We had thought that the Hotel was sold to Oetker and managed by them. Thank you for the clarification.