early photos

Park Avenue

SBH Member
Something for Rick:). Found a Swedish archive with early photos from St. Barth:

Fo80405A.jpg

Fo80400A.jpg

Fo80406A.jpg

That house in the middle may be the one next to Eddy's, where I believe Mario lives.

I wonder how they got that aerial shot of the harbor? Open cockpit biplane with a big gnarly view camera? Would have been a tough shot to make.

These photographs, the early maps, all your research --- wonderful information for all of us. Thank you so much for adding such value to the forum.

These photographs, the early maps, all your research --- wonderful information for all of us. Thank you so much for adding such value to the forum.

PA has become a major contributor in the course of just a few day! I agree he has added great value to the forum!
Merci!

:up: Merci beaucoup pour toutes ces aimables paroles. Maintenant:

S:t Barthélemy Gustavia Drottninggatan 1870 by Anton Molander
Fo122175.jpg

Gustavia S:t Barthélemy Panorama FREJAs (Swedish boat) expedition 1895-96 Photo by Carl C. Lyon
Fo52352A.jpg

@Rick

Thinking about that, I was reading that the early reliable planes in the area arrived around end 1920's both with Pan Am and a french operator, what makes it interesting is that the photo is from a Swedish museum but I have no extra information. Here a early Pan Am poster (1931), how exciting for those passenger's!
1931-Pan-American-Airways-System.jpg

Wondering if the visitor in pic 3

ship.png

could be the original SAL Gripsholm

gripsholm1925.jpg

The beginning of the cruisers?

Wondering if the visitor in pic 3

View attachment 24410

could be the original SAL Gripsholm

View attachment 24411

The beginning of the cruisers?

Eagle eye!

Looking at some SAL history and the only direct reference to St. Barth is this one:

GRIPSHOLM II avgick från Göteborg/Köpenhamn 10 okt 1967 på en Västindienkryssning. Besök bl. a på
Madeira,
Martinique,
Trinidad,
Barbados,
Dominica,
St. Thomas,
St. Barthélemy och
Azorerna.
Återkomst till Göteborg den 7 nov 1967.

This one:
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 539
But also this with the first Gripsholm

Also came across records of the first Kungsholm
khb.jpg

cruising the Caribbean in the 30's and 40's.
kh.jpg

The only itinerary that I find does not include St Barth
khit.jpg

but there were clearly other itineraries as this literary quote shows:
"The only sound in the night came from the Havana harbor water slucking gently against the sides of the ship. Through the moon mist the Kungsholm could be seen, anchored sleepy and rich, just a few hundred feet aft. Farther shoreward a few small boats corked about ." (A Young Girl in 1941 with No Waist at All)

...written by J.D. Salinger - who was a cruise director on the Kungsholm in the '40's - a job I never would have guessed he would have ...

All the above was found the above at a Tribute to the Swedish American Line.

Also came across records of the first Kungsholm
View attachment 24417

cruising the Caribbean in the 30's and 40's.
View attachment 24418

The only itinerary that I find does not include St Barth
View attachment 24419

but there were clearly other itineraries as this literary quote shows:
"The only sound in the night came from the Havana harbor water slucking gently against the sides of the ship. Through the moon mist the Kungsholm could be seen, anchored sleepy and rich, just a few hundred feet aft. Farther shoreward a few small boats corked about ." (A Young Girl in 1941 with No Waist at All)

...written by J.D. Salinger - who was a cruise director on the Kungsholm in the '40's - a job I never would have guessed he would have ...

All the above was found the above at a Tribute to the Swedish American Line.

I didn't know that, interesting.

I just love that onomatopoetic word SLUCKING

I am having such a hard time picturing Salinger as cruise director, I hadn't picked up on that ...

julie.jpg

(Park - I do not know if the source of the pic was inflicted on Sweden but this video suggests the Danes were unable to avoid it)