Calling a St Barts cell or land line from my TMobile Cell phone

sxmbeachlover

SBH Insider
I'm thinking it would be:

To a St. Barts Cell + 590 690 XXXXXX?

To a St. Barts land line +590 590 XXXX?

THANKS! CAN'T WAIT!

001 is for the United States... 1 being the US country code... but in answer to the first question, where are you calling from via T Mobile?

The + sign will make the correct international prefix from any cell phone -- they know where they are calling from. From the US on a landline dial 010 then the 590 sequence.

1 is the US and Canadian country code.

I know this has been discussed somewhere:uncomfortableness: Can you call AT&T cell to cell? Text? While on the island? Is there something I need to do ahead of time? You would think this being year 18 I would know the answer.This is our first year to bring 4 friends!

11 Days:cool:

Jimmy, you call from cell-to-cell on US mobiles, but the cost will be several bucks on each end. It is possible to buy a package of international roaming text as a additional service on your plan at att.com/wireless

Also, I always select a roaming data plan so I can email without looking for WiFi.

Here's what the area looks like on the AT&T site. You turn it on before you travel and off when you return.

Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 11.12.23 AM.jpg

I still have trouble when calling local number to local number from the villa phone.....do you always use 0590, just 590, or just xx-xx-xx....??

It's always 0590xxxxxx from landline to landline. Many villas block any other calls which means you cannot call cell phones which are 0690.

Phil

And if you use your expensive US cell it is 0590 or 0690. The only way I can call most local cells is "expensive" or Skype due to the problem that Phil mentioned with blocks.

Expensive = $2.50 per minute, inbound or outbound.

So if I can't get to my villa phone and I needed to call the fire station from my US cell while in my villa I would dial 0590-590-27-62-31?

Note that with ATT you may see an initial double-hit on your bill if you sign up for their international services, which I do. My billing date is at the beginning of the month. I sign up for the international services mid-month, which I typically pro-rate to the beginning of the billing cycle. When I return I cancel the international services, but I've already crossed into a new billing period. On my next bill I will see a full month's charge for the first month, plus a full month's charge for the second month. I just pay the bill. On my next bill I see a prorated credit for the balance of the cancelled second month.

Typically, on my personal phone, what I sign up for is a 120MB data package (I use a local SIM in my iPad for most non-Wi-Fi data). I don't send many texts, just enough to justify signing up for the $10 Global Msg 50 package. Only a handful of people have this particular mobile number, so I'll probably go at-risk for a voice plan and pay the $2.50/min for any incoming calls, none of which I expect to receive. (Outgoing calls are made on my local SBH mobile.) If I expected to need to accept incoming calls then I would look at the International Roaming Voice Rest of World 15 Minute plan, which gives 15 minutes of calls for $30, or $2/minute. (Wow, 3 "free" minutes! But excess minutes are also at $2/min.) At the end of the trip I expect to be out of pocket $30 for the data plan, $10 for the texts, and €25 for the unlimited data plan on my iPad. I may throw a few € onto my SBH mobile, but only if there is a 1/2 price sale.

So if I can't get to my villa phone and I needed to call the fire station from my US cell while in my villa I would dial 0590-590-27-62-31?

I would try dialing 18 first, which is the local fire emergency number. If that didn't go through then I would try 0590-27-62-31.

I just signed up for the AT&T international package for an upcoming St Barth visit. Have used this on previous visits. Just remind me: do I keep iPhone and iPad roaming off? Will use wifi in the villa. Hope that we will not be using the phone very much!

If you turn off roaming your data package will have been purchased in vain :) Allow it to roam and when WiFi is available the iPhone will select the free WiFi.
iPad works differently -- I would use it on WiFi only unless you buy a local SIM. Kevin is the expert on iPad SIMS.

Thanks for the info. That makes sense! The iPad will be fine with the free wifi. Pretty sad that I can't remember what I did last year!

Call you cell phone provider! There are all kinds of new, better plans out there now. We just leaned that our existing TMobile plan now comes with free international texting, free data, and 20 cents per minute to over 100 countries!!! No roaming charges and no additional monthly charges. We checked and both SBH and SXM are included! I know that AT&T also has a similar new program.

Be there soon, CHEERS!