A lifesaving basketball at Toiny

JEK

Senior Insider
Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 2.11.38 PM.jpg

Interesting idea. I haven't seen a basketball used as a bouy before, but given the winds at Toiny it might make sense.

Bing did not translate noyés well. That line should read:

Despite signs indicating the danger of swimming at this place, there have been five drownings.

I think the ball is more of a monkey's fist to heave the rope as far as possible and then keep it afloat.

Interesting idea. I haven't seen a basketball used as a bouy before, but given the winds at Toiny it might make sense.

Bing did not translate noyés well. That line should read:

Despite signs indicating the danger of swimming at this place, there have been five drownings.

the winds are mostly out of an easterly quadrant...no??..therefore whatever you throw out will be blown back to you at that beach which faces the east..no???

leave the basketball in the gym....get a ring bouy or torpedo bouy like the rest of the world uses....

have no idea...ever try and throw an air filled ball against a 20 MPH wind>>>>???

try it and get back to me....:nightmare:

Well you know that a rhetorical question. I can't see them installing a lifesaving device without testing it.

I am well aware how to throw a line with monkey fist and the dynamics which control it

a basketball is filled with air....whole different dynamic

...may work if taken in with you when going for an ill-advised swim or if Grant Hill c1992 is passing the buoy ...

... BTW, April is Adult learn to swim month with many US Masters clubs offering free lessons to beginners and others wanting to improve their confidence level ...

rg.jpg

More information here:
http://www.usms.org/giving/content/learntoswim

...may work if taken in with you when going for an ill-advised swim or if Grant Hill c1992 is passing the buoy ...

I like the Grant Hill idea.....

if you re going to take something with you a torpedo bouy is very much the way to go....

torpedo.jpg

45 bucks

I am well aware how to throw a line with monkey fist and the dynamics which control it

a basketball is filled with air....whole different dynamic

I'm sure couldn't possibly work and the couldn't have considered testing it before they came up with the idea. Silly islanders.

BTW, the mass of the ball is the key. As long as it isn't filled with anything lighter than air, it will sail. Do I need to get Fred in here for a physics lesson? :)

nope... and its getting up to happy hour and all which comes with that around here.... so I'm done here

God bless and good luck with that little device..

you'll need both :cool: