First night dinner

PeterLynn

Senior Insider
Just joined the forum. Wife and I renting a villa in St Jean for a week at the end of may and were wondering where is the better place to have our first dinner on the island. Santa Fe or Hideaway?

Welcome, PL! We love both of your choices, but like Eddy's as the first night spot as reservations are not required. With the press of travel -- not all of us can arrive by noon, it is nice to roll in whenever the spirit moves.

Welcome to you P&L - your first night on SBH should be relaxing and carefree and all three mentioned above are perfect! You can't go wrong with any spot that has an "Open" sign. Andy's is handy for St Jean but get some other suggestions and make your choice knowing that it will be terrific!

Is this your first trip, or are you familiar with the island's roads? If you haven't had experience driving the road up to Santa Fe, I'd do SF at lunch one day to take away some of the potential stress.

I'm a big fan of Manu's, and SF should definitely be on your list.

After a long travel day we lean more to casual dining. While we love both restaurants, we're more likely to be at Andy's than Santa Fe for our first night's dinner.

hi, when i arrive to the island, i'm always tired, so i go for Italian ( L'isola ), super good to end the day. Then, for the rest of the stay i book Maya's for every dinner, menu changes daily, always excellent.

Thanks everyone

Arriving early on a Saturday after a couple of days in St Martin, so we'll be rested. Thinking of Maya's the last night and Eddy's somewhere in between. Read that Santa Fe is good for the sunset, but it sounds like Andy's is a great place to start things off. For a first timer, is there a difference between Saturday and Sunday night at Hideaway?

The sun will be set by the time that Santa Fe opens for dinner at 7PM. (Closed Wednesdays.)

My perception is that Hideaway is a bit busier on Sunday nights, but I could be completely off on that. (Closed Saturday lunch and Sunday lunch.) It's a regular Sunday stop for me, and I always make a reservation. Sunday lunch is often at a beachfront hotel, and dinner at Hideaway averages out both my calorie intake and my costs for the day. Plus, I just like having Sunday dinner at Hideaway...

We are coming over on a Sat in May after a few days in St Martin, too, and we are thinking we won't be able to muster up any more energy than to hit Le Select, to continue the relaxation process. Then it is pedal to the metal!

You re funny

if I want to see the West Indies regatta boats I will need to be in Gustavia ..... If I m in Gustavia on a Saturday night, chances are pretty good i will be in Select at some point in time

so call that whatever you wish :cool:

our routine when we arrive, which is usually around 2:00-3:00 PM, is to head to Le Repaire -an underrated restaurant, that has serivce all day....then depending upon the specials we have a late lunch or early dinner...(with frittes and a Bottle of Rose)

I'm another fan of Andy's the first night. Easy to get to, casual, and the food is outstanding.

As Tim noted, if this is your first trip, the ride to Santa Fe can be tough the first night.
My recommendation for Santa Fe, assuming this is your first trip, would be to go to Gouveneur one day and then go to Santa Fe for lunch after a morning on the beach, or simply note the location when you drive past for later trip.

Of course, if you want to splurge a bit for the first night, check out Eden Rock. Easy to get to since you are in St. Jean, great food, and a great location right on the beach.. Combine that with a walk along the beach before and/or after dinner and you've got a great start to a trip.

In what way is Santa Fe "tough" for a first night?
Main road...ON the road...on a corner...right up the hill from Gustavia.

Is uphill driving not in your skill set? Or left turns?

OP should just hit Andys, but not b/c Santa Fe is "challenging"...LOL

You re funny

if I want to see the West Indies regatta boats I will need to be in Gustavia ..... If I m in Gustavia on a Saturday night, chances are pretty good i will be in Select at some point in time

so call that whatever you wish :cool:

Take many pix please...not Select...the sailboats.