First night dinner

We like to be in Gustavia for our first night. We enjoy soaking in the scene, strolling the quai, etc. This year we went to Le Carré and it was great. We may make it a new "tradition". We used to go to Le Sapotillier and Eddy's & Le Repaire were also good.

We like to be in Gustavia for our first night. We enjoy soaking in the scene, strolling the quai, etc. This year we went to Le Carré and it was great. We may make it a new "tradition". We used to go to Le Sapotillier and Eddy's & Le Repaire were also good.

I miss La Sapotillier.
Celebrated our 10th anniversary there.
A sunset cruise and than La Sapotillier made it into just about a perfect evening.

If this is your first trip to SBH, I'm with those who say hold off on Santa Fe for the first night dinner. I remember the first time driving up the hill from St Jean in the dark at night. Could be even more nerve racking on the way back after some wine and cocktails. Maybe ok to head up before sunset, but I wouldn't recommend driving up in the dark for the first time.

Our first night dinner varies, but Hideaway is a frequent stop. Had it for first and last night dinner on our trip earlier this month. I like Santa Fe for lunch. Nice views from the top of the hill.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. Finding this forum has been great for planning. It sounds like my original idea of Andy's for the first night is the best. Looks like a short walk from the villa too. Speaking of short walk, is there a direct way to the east side of St Jean beach without having to go all the way to Nikki Beach? Can't tell from Google Earth.

Also like the idea of Gouveneur beach in the morning and lunch at Santa Fe. Should one clean up first (i.e. shower at the villa) or is post-beach attire acceptable?

One of the great things about Santa Fe (and about Le Grain de Sel just outside of Saline) is that at lunch hour, you can go in looking like a mess.

You may want to toss some dry/fresh clothes in bag and change in the restroom at Santa Fe just for comfort, but we've been in there at lunch looking pretty ragged.

One of the general fine dining rules is that if a place has great views, the food is average at best and/or the prices are through the roof.

Santa Fe is an exception. Food is wonderful, and in context of the island, prices are reasonable.

yes...real boats...beautiful craftsmanship....not factory plastic fantastics...LOL..I will

Movie should be done shortly. Pop in across the street from Select...LouLou is a big fan of em, too.

I assume you've read the book?

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. Finding this forum has been great for planning. It sounds like my original idea of Andy's for the first night is the best. Looks like a short walk from the villa too. Speaking of short walk, is there a direct way to the east side of St Jean beach without having to go all the way to Nikki Beach? Can't tell from Google Earth.
?
You can't walk the entire St Jean beach because Eden Rock is in the way. There are entrances along Nikki and along La Plage for those sections.

Speaking of short walk, is there a direct way to the east side of St Jean beach without having to go all the way to Nikki Beach? Can't tell from Google Earth.

Not sure what you mean by direct way to east side of St. Jean. If you mean that your villa is on the west side of the bay and you want to walk to the east side, you can walk on the beach until you get to the Eden Roc. Then I go through the area with the loungers and over to the right along the retention canal and then to the left past the Eden Roc and then through the opening that takes you back to the beach by Nikki. You can then continue to walk up the beach to the east until you run out of sand.

BTW- if you walk the Nikki side you might see this towards the end - we will be there in February

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 395
Andy - Are you staying in the yellow cottage? Looks like a real cute space.

That's the one by BDM, right?
Sort of set between BDM and the beach?

Great location. That area of the beach feels off the beaten path, but Nikki Beach is an easy walk.

That's the one by BDM, right?
Sort of set between BDM and the beach?

Great location. That area of the beach feels off the beaten path, but Nikki Beach is an easy walk.

BDM was vacant 2 months ago. They took down the villa by the gate and put up 2 new villas that were being completed last month.

Kind of changed the subject, but we're across the road east of Andy's and was wondering if there is a more direct route to the east end (quieter?) of the east side of St Jean beach.

The closest public accesss to the beach that I'm aware of is down near Nikki Beach. If you were on the beach side there would likely be a private access path, but not from across the road. The good news is that there is a narrrow sidewalk on the beach side of that road.