Splurge Restaurant

3MMMweb

SBH Member
Hi - You've all been so helpful, I can't resist asking more questions. We will be renting a house with a kitchen but wanted one night where the adults go out (4 of us) for a great meal. Suggestions?

Depends on what cuisine -- I think the finest food, service and ambiance in one package is L'Isola. Some folks say it could be an upscale Italian resto in Manhattan, but we love it. A long, long away from there is Le Gaïac - fancy white tablecloth and very French. Also, consider having a chef in and cook in your villa.

On our last trip we had a fantastic night out starting with cocktails and Eden Rock followed by dinner at Gaiac. It was a lovely way to fit in two top notch restaurants in one evening.

My vote is Eden Rock. The view is terrific and I really like the "tiered" way the restaurant is designed. Le Gaïac is good, but I enjoyed the atmosphere of ER much more. Great drinks, excellent sunsets, food is fantastic (of course), cool dining experience.

Best part - you can't really go wrong.

Check out the menus of the places you're thinking about before you pick a place. My wife and I were all set to have a big dinner at Eden Rock, but when we looked at the menu, nothing really grabbed our attention so we passed.

Another consideration would be to have your splurge meal at lunch on or overlooking a beach. You can eat in a dark restaurant anywhere in the world, but there are only a few places to eat on the beach!

I'll be the lone dissenter, avoid L'Isola! If you're doing a special meal in St Bartz, do it in a place that only exists in St Barts. You can get overpriced Italian anywhere!

(I'll be spending the rest of the day in my bunker safe from the blast that's heading my way)

I'll be the lone dissenter, avoid L'Isola! If you're doing a special meal in St Bartz, do it in a place that only exists in St Barts. You can get overpriced Italian anywhere!

(I'll be spending the rest of the day in my bunker safe from the blast that's heading my way)
No blast from here

no blast here either....
you re bang on

but we must show empathy to our forum brethren who dont have availability of great Italian food 365/24/7 like some.......or grew up with it so it nothing special

I ll take a bullet for you and defllect and say that the high end restaurants are mostly overpriced and overrated......I think the islands restaurants strengths lie in the mid priced joints.....

no blast here either...

ask yourself, if you could only have one dinner out on the island, where would you go?

We'd go to Maya's

***although I think the point about the mid priced restaurants strengths is spot on: Eddy's, Table de Jules, for example.

no blast here either....
you re bang on

but we must show empathy to our forum brethren who dont have availability of great Italian food 365/24/7 like some.......or grew up with it so it nothing special

I ll take a bullet for you and defllect and say that the high end restaurants are mostly overpriced and overrated......I think the islands restaurants strengths lie in the mid priced joints.....

I admit I've only been to L'Isola three times. But, in my experience the cuisine is sublime and thoroughly authentic. The wine list excellent. The cocktails inspired. And, the buzz...the next biggest buzz is a distant second.
What did you not like about L'Isola, Mike?

What did you not like about L'Isola, Mike?

show me where I said I didn't like it.....I don't pass judgement on things I dont try...I m sure its great....what I said was great Italian food is nothing special to me...grew up on it and cook it regularly......therefore I have no inclination towards going there,..especially at those prices and with those portion sizes I see in photos.....I have more than once had to go back to the bungalow and make a sandwich after a high end dinner on St Barts.....:uncomfortableness:
but as always....YMMV
I will be doing a 200 euro L'Isola dinner this Sunday as a matter of fact......:cool:

I would have NO issue whatsoever going to the mid range restos, i.e. Wall House, Pipiri, Eddys, Gloriette or Cote Port for a special "date night" rather than the heavy hitters....we would probably prefer that actually

oh and we are not into "buzz"...either....LOL

quite the opposite....we get all the buzz we want in both winter and summer high season here

I wish I could get out of there for 200€ for wine!
Back on topic. I grew up in Ohio and my mothers was a great midwestern cook and baked all kinds of wonderful things. Fish was deep-fried perch. Beef was well-done to the extreme. We didn't eat pasta, just spaghetti with sauce from a can. I now enjoy the bountiful spread that life, and Saint-Barth has to offer.