A big one

JEK

Senior Insider
Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 11.27.21 AM.jpg

Where around SBH would one be likely to see this guy? If I ran into him at Saline or Gouveneur or Lorient, I think I'd fly out of the water!

Where around SBH would one be likely to see this guy? If I ran into him at Saline or Gouveneur or Lorient, I think I'd fly out of the water!

they generally do not come close to shore...they need high concentrations of plankton which is far and few in the Caribbean but mostly on offshore currents....

we get them and basking sharks a lot in our harbor but our harbor is plankton soup much of the year....basking sharks have an identical dorsal fin as a Great White, so the local kids like to freak out tourists and jump in the water when they see a fin and are all freaking out over its fin, thinking its a GWS

they generally do not come close to shore...they need high concentrations of plankton which is far and few in the Caribbean but mostly on offshore currents....

we get them and basking sharks a lot in our harbor but our harbor is plankton soup much of the year....basking sharks have an identical dorsal fin as a Great White, so the local kids like to freak out tourists and jump in the water when they see a fin and are all freaking out over its fin, thinking its a GWS

Until the day it IS a Great White....

Until the day it IS a Great White....

nah...when a basking shark is feeding in the harbor their mouths are wide open so you see this gigantic white circle under water at its front....there is no mistaking one from the other...plus they move like a snail

nah...when a basking shark is feeding in the harbor their mouths are wide open so you see this gigantic white circle under water at its front....there is no mistaking one from the other...plus they move like a snail

image444444s (1).jpg

I know...