Runway fence going up?

It is a sad day. From Eden Rock all the way down past the airport to the end we believe is the longest beach on the island. Sounds like no more. When we have quickly crossed, it is a little nerve wracking. The people that just stand there and watch them fly over or even land- we always questioned their judgment. Given all of the security cautions worldwide, we are always surprised one can stand so close to the end of the runway on the beach.

Walk in the water. It is really going to screw up Les Ilets. There have been winters where Eden Rock cannot be reached from Emeraude Plage. I guess it is ultimately safer for passengers to land over water than the hill. Fence or not.

We landed over the water on our last trip down to the island, and we barely cleared the beach. I don't think that physical barriers on the beach are a good idea. Concern for the passengers and crew of the airplanes, to me, is more important than a random photog getting in the way every five or ten years.

:up:

Tradewind just posted this on FB. Makes Tim's point quite well.
1922107_10152366017943278_633782465_n.jpg

We landed over the water on our last trip down to the island, and we barely cleared the beach. I don't think that physical barriers on the beach are a good idea. Concern for the passengers and crew of the airplanes, to me, is more important than a random photog getting in the way every five or ten years.

No concern for the crew, neither the passengers as they won't even realize.

The 50-foot obstacle clearance (even virtual) at end of runway is a legal requirement for all airports worldwide, including St Barths for runway 28 (over the beach). it is not because there is no ACTUAL obstacle on this approach path (as opposed to runway 10) that the requirement does not exist. It is there. Now a pilot technique would be to come in as low as possible so as to optimize the landing distance required (LDR) versus landing distance available (LDA). I do the same when I land in SBH on Runway 28.

Don't be fooled by a picture. The aircraft ARE capable of clearing the 50 foot obstacle (not to mention a 6-foot fence) and still land within a safe distance from the runway end, should they need to do so. This calculation is based on individual aircraft technical performance data. All airline-approved aircraft flying into St Barths have to demonstrate this otherwise they don't get the approval. Once again, this is a legal requirement.

I used the example of SXM as the problem is identical. The only difference is that the SXM airport authorities dealed with the problem years ago by building up a 6-foot high fence at the runway end. And don't think this is a better airport, I can guarantee you that the runway is SXM is very short for Airbus 340 or Boeing 747 landing there on a daily basis.

Different airport and aircraft, but same performance problem.

Let's not reinvent the wheel just because we think SBH is so special. It is a restricted airport, but standard ICAO regulations still apply. And these regulations can be read here (quote):

Landing Runway Required
The runway distance needed for landing can be affected by the following:

• Pressure altitude

• Temperature

• Headwind component

• Runway gradient or slope

• Aircraft weight

In computing the landing distance required, some manufacturers do not include all of the above items in their charts, since the regulations state that only pressure altitude, wind, and aircraft weight must be considered. Charts are provided for anti-skid on and anti-skid off conditions, but the use of reverse thrust is not used in computing required landing distances.

The landing distance, as required by the regulations, is that distance needed to land and come to a complete stop from a point 50 feet above the threshold end of the runway. It includes the air distance required to travel from the 50 foot height to touchdown (which can consume 1,000 feet of runway distance), plus the stopping distance, with no margin left over. This is all that is required for 14 CFR part 91 operators (non-air carrier), and all that is shown on some landing distance required charts.

For air carriers and other commercial operators subject to 14 CFR part 121, a different set of rules applies stating that the required landing distance from the 50 foot height cannot exceed 60 percent of the actual runway length available. In all cases, the minimum airspeed allowed at the 50 foot height must be no less than 1.3 times the aircraft’s stalling speed in the landing configuration. This speed is commonly called the aircraft’s VREF speed and varies with landing weight.

10-38.jpg

Pilots land short...and pilots land long...stuff happens. BL is that people should not be on the approach end of any runway...stand to the sides, outside of the airport fencing.

However,

Ces mesures pourraient n’être que provisoires, laissent entendre les services de la Collectivité. Si, grâce à des détecteurs de présence et des hauts parleurs, il était possible de réguler le passage. Et de commander aux piétons de partir lorsqu’ils prennent des risques inconsidérés, expliquent-ils.

From Le Journal today. If the COM has its way the fence is only a provisional measure until sensors/cameras can be installed whereby pedestrians posing an undue risk to aircraft traffic can be detected and warned off thru means of loudspeakers installed for that purpose.

However,

Ces mesures pourraient n’être que provisoires, laissent entendre les services de la Collectivité. Si, grâce à des détecteurs de présence et des hauts parleurs, il était possible de réguler le passage. Et de commander aux piétons de partir lorsqu’ils prennent des risques inconsidérés, expliquent-ils.

From Le Journal today. If the COM has its way the fence is only a provisional measure until sensors/cameras can be installed whereby pedestrians posing an undue risk to aircraft traffic can be detected and warned off thru means of loudspeakers installed for that purpose.
well horray for that. Should of had audible warnings all along

However,

great idea!

When did the fence go up? I was there last week and didn't see it or if it was there, I will blame the rum for missing it.