Leaving Luggage in a locked car at the Grocery store across from the airport

sxmbeachlover

SBH Insider
Does anyone do this? We like to stop as soon as we arrive on the island. I'm not talking about passports, cameras or anything essential, just our clothing. The last few times, one of us has stayed in the car while the other shopped, but that's no fun.

We have done this, but be sure to lock the car. I wouldn't do it if you have a Mini Convertible or open Jeep.

Phil

Yes, I've done that. SBH is stlll a far cry from SXM when it comes to car break-ins. My preference is to drop at the villa, and then go to the grocery,

Does anyone do this? We like to stop as soon as we arrive on the island. I'm not talking about passports, cameras or anything essential, just our clothing. The last few times, one of us has stayed in the car while the other shopped, but that's no fun.
Keep someone in the car. Don't have to worry. I drop everything off and shop while my wife unpacks. No worry there either.

Thieves don't know that there are no valuables. Do you want to chance having your clothing/toiletries taken and possibly never found? Just my $.02.

How the times have changed. In '91 my wife left a Gucci bag containing her jewelry, etc. on the floor in the airport by the car rental. We didn't realize it until 1 1/2 hrs later at our villa, but when we returned it was exactly where she left it, undisturbed! Luck, I guess, even then.

BETD has a nice story of how the island can be a friendly place. He lost his rental car keys on Saline and called an island friend for help. She called the rental company who told her that the keys had been discovered on the beach and relayed instructions to Ed to wave his beach towel while standing in the surf. The keys were immediately placed in his hand!

BETD has a nice story of how the island can be a friendly place. He lost his rental car keys on Saline and called an island friend for help. She called the rental company who told her that the keys had been discovered on the beach and relayed instructions to Ed to wave his beach towel while standing in the surf. The keys were immediately placed in his hand!
I had a similar car key experience last June....parked in front of Fabienne Miot and my car keys fell out of a hole in my pockets as I walked to Select.....Realized I lost them and borrowed Kevin's cell to call TopLoc to bring me a replacement..no need she said, LouLou's have them at their counter...And, maybe I am too trusting, but we also leave our luggage in the Jimny right from the airport while we shop a Marche'U....but now I may have to change our arrival procedures....

I'd be comfortable leaving luggage in the trunk at Marche...but we usually chk the villa first to see what's needed and swing back....

I don't see it as an issue.

When they start breaking into car trunks in broad daylight outside one of the most visited markets on the island, I'll be loooong gone from SBH.

When they start breaking into car trunks in broad daylight outside one of the most visited markets on the island, I'll be loooong gone from SBH.

Bingo!

We left our luggage in the car to do our first shopping/stocking up trip. We couldn't get into the villa yet so we had no choice (other than shop later, or station one of us at the car). But we figured it was the middle of a day and there was a lot of activity out there so it would probably be safe.

If you leave the luggage in an enclosed trunk, fine. If you leave it say in the back of a Jimmy, where the world can see it, we would not. Why not enjoy your shopping care free instead of risking it all and then worrying about it the rest of the trip if you lost it. We have never heard of someone staking out the airport and rental car departures and following them. On this forum, the only thing we have read about are robberies from unlocked cars and unlocked Villas. Plus, if you are truly shopping for groceries etc, you might not have room to place them in your car, if you stock up like we do.

How about load the car and leave it in the airport car rental space where you pick it up? Not many loiterers over there..

We land, get the car, check into the villa within 20 minutes. He then goes to March to shop, I unpack. 45 minutes later villa is stocked, clothes unpacked and we are enjoying first of many bottles of champagne.....easy.....

We land, get the car, check into the villa within 20 minutes. He then goes to March to shop, I unpack. 45 minutes later villa is stocked, clothes unpacked and we are enjoying first of many bottles of champagne.....easy.....

That's our procedure as well. We each do what we do best!

That would require my wife to unpack for me -- a deal breaker. She doesn't pack or unpack for me :cool:

my wife doesn't pack/unpack for me either.....and I would never ask her to

and she would NEVER miss a chance to spend some time at the cheese counter looking over and picking out the cheeses for the week...

we land..we get the car..we go to Match...get our "stuff".....and then we setlle in....it works for us