Sorrento or Positano?

Thanks, Lynn and Linda. I'm still working on this, but you're right that I have slowed down. ��

Kathy, where are you going in Switzerland? I was surprised at how much I loved Zermatt. I was afraid I would find it to be too touristy, but I thought it was magical...
Toni--- I wish I was headed to Switzerland (again)!!! I was last there a few years ago, and hiked all around Zermatt while some buddies climbed the Matterhorn. It was truly magical, and I want to go back!!! I was recommending it to Linda :)

Loved the Miramare as well! You have lots of great choices, have fun researching! If you end up in Rome at all I can highly recommend the St. Regis. We're here right now and we're living it!

Sorrento is more package deal tourism, flatter, noisier and bigger, whereas Positano is more select, very steep with vehicles unable to get to most houses and hotels, there are just alley ways and steps between the building - and it's generally more expensive.
Whichever you go to, make sure you visit the other and don't bother taking a carto either. The roads are narrow, twisting, vertiginous and in summer an endless traffic jam with parking almost impossible. The bus and boat servies are more than adequate for a couple of weeks holiday. Italy travel tips

Toni, I agree with the Sorrento crowd, more to see/do and very convenient to your other destinations. However, just to throw another choice into the mix, have you looked at Praiano? That's where we'll be staying the next time we go to the Amalfi Coast, not a typical tourist destination (which is why we want to stay there) but still very convenient to other towns. We actually were planning to go there this month but I was offered a free stay at the Four Seasons in Florence so we'll be heading north instead of south when we leave Rome next week. I'll be updating my website quite a bit after our return at the end of April, stay tuned.

Another beautiful, spectacularly romantic place to stay is Ravello. Very quiet, perfect for 3 days, just not as convenient to the other towns. We stayed at the Caruso but there are several less expensive (but still nice) choices there. If you choose Positano, take a look at the Palazzo Murat. I have been to il San Pietro and agree that it's beautiful, but really inconvenient for the way we vacation (ie, strolling around town, dining at different restaurants every night, etc.). For me the San Pietro is more a destination where you don't intend to leave, where you just want to plant yourself and relax vs. explore, and you really would want a car if you stay there. I'm with Libby, I am NOT a fan of driving on the Amalfi Coast road... I prefer taking ferries between ports or hiring a driver vs. renting a car. We've done it twice but aren't anxious to do it again... too stressful for a vacation experience IMHO.

So exciting! Now I wish we were going there on this trip!!! PM me if I can help out any more.

Lynn--any thoughts on the best time of year to visit the Amalfi Coast?

Buongiorno! My favorite time of year to visit the Amalfi Coast (and Italy in general) is late May/early June, or September. Last summer I was invited to a friend's 60th in Amalfi in mid-July... let's just say that despite having my business class airfare paid for and all expenses taken care of when I was there (luxury villa, private yacht to Capri, driver for the whole week), I wouldn't do it again in July. The entire coast was mobbed, Positano, Amalfi, Capri town were ridiculously crowded and it was 100 degrees in the shade. The only respite was in Ravello, which was deserted for some reason. Oh, and Anacapri. I was the only person in the Axel Menthe museum and gardens... bizarre. I ended up just chilling out by the villa pool for at least 2 days, enjoying the spectacular view. So my view is, stick to the shoulder season or if you absolutely have to travel in July and August, head for the hills, to Ravello or Anacapri (Praiano was also fairly quiet). And have fun!!!

IMG_0351.jpg

And by the way, I'm now a Virtuoso Travel Advisor specializing in Italy and the Caribbean so if you need more detailed help (with hotels, tours, activities, transportation) I'm available.