March 20, 2014, Dinner at La Carre

phil62

Senior Insider
5-2014-03-21.JPG

Just a few of the dishes that I had or shared from our dinner at Franck's Le Carre.

The amusee was a chilled soup made with sweet potatoes and apricots and topped with a ginger mousse.

We have so often enjoyed these fabulous chicken wishbones served along with a green salad in a vinaigrette dressing. The chicken morsels are prepared with butter, parsley and garlic. Did I mention butter? How about garlic? Simply a fabulous classic dish that Franck should patent.

The local tuna cerviche was refreshing and different. The small tuna cubes were accompanied by chilled cubes of watermelon crowns and thin radish slices with small sprigs of dill. I had asked that they leave off the onions and the jalopenos as I wanted a milder dish for dinner last night.

For dessert we shared the evening special of a dense cheese cake with a graham cracker crust that was topped with swirls of poached pear and served with a raspberry coulis for topping.

The food is really good at this interesting out door space in Gustavia that has become a dining hot spot.

The staff is tops and handled the full house with skill and panache!

I'm with you, Amy & Phil, in finding great enjoyment in Franck's new venture. He has done more in creating an inviting, comfortable space in that venue than any of its forerunners (who can name them?), and the freshness in food and staff make for a comfortable, relaxed, and enjoyable time spent there. Your photos, of course, show what I mean.

Phil enjoyed his sliders and the tomato and ham bruschette. Just that we had posted them many times before so I did not take photos last night.

We remember 88 and Caviar as being in this location.

Yes, they have a whole cocktail menu as well as a very good wine list and cognacs and assorted after dinner libations and of course,rhum!

Amy . . . wasn't there also -- very briefly -- some sort of Middle Eastern restaurant there?

Looks very good. Any interesting cocktails/wines on the menu?

Franck always has something interesting for me to try, and consistantly steers me away from my usual white burgundies. In November he had me try a very nice Sicilian white, Planeta Cometa, grown from Fiano grapes. It was a very nice full-bodied white that I'll be trying again. Also on the winelist, but a bit more mainstream, is a nice organic Pouilly Fumé from Alexandre Bain.

As to cocktails, there is the Kryptonite cocktail, which was created for (and won) the local Stolichnaya Vodka competition last year. If you like gin, give the G'vine, a grape-based gin, a try.

I think you're right, John . . . that's what I was thinking of. It's a difficult commercial space, and Franck has done a great job in unifying it as an "outdoor room." I'm happy for his success and appreciate his longevity on the island.

The space is bit challenging during a shower, but Franck and team have a carefully choreographed process to extend the awnings and compress the tables. Fun to watch!

Yes, 88 was the Greek incarnation. The gracious hostess, Pat, then moved to operate B4 where Ocean is now located!!

I'am looking forward to trying it in a few weeks! I can't seem to figure out the exact location? Reference point?
A&P, Keep the awesome reports coming!

Thanks,
Jimmy

Pat / Patricia / Patrizia (a woman of many identities!) is lovely. I haven't seen her since closing of B4, but I think she's still on the island. Thanks for mention of her . . . I'm enjoying recollections of good times favorite people and places!

I'am looking forward to trying it in a few weeks! I can't seem to figure out the exact location? Reference point?
A&P, Keep the awesome reports coming!

Thanks,
Jimmy
Jimmy see below

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 586
Le Carré - the square and is in the Carré D'Or - golden square. You need lots of gold to shop there :)

Ralph Lauren is right next to it and Hermes is on the corner. We believe before it was Caviar Island? and before that we don't recall. We love it for dinner and lunch. A great stop when the shops close. Their mojitos are wonderful.

Amy and Phil--Those are unique and intresting choices. Think we will try La Carre agin this summer. Glad to hear it's hoding it ownl

My husband and I also were there last night and I have to say we were very impressed with the food. I ordered the
leek salad not knowing what to expect, and it was delicious! The leeks were cut in small circular chunks and artfully displayed
in a triangle and then surrounded by a delicious tomato sauce. I wish that I had photographed it. I had the grouper, the special,
and my husband had the mahi-mahi. We both would highly recommend it and the price was very reasonable.