Party like a Russian

Eve

Senior Insider
Saw a video of a party at Wall House of partying Russians. Will borscht soon be on the menu? Julien was filming, I believe, and Papa looked very happy. VERY happy!

These were Russian guests from St Martin who earned the day trip to SBH and use of the Sunsail boats that they docked all in a row at Wall House-about 10 to 15 identical sail boats were lined up.

When we drove in to Gustavia it was cute to see the line up of identical boats that reminded me of the line up of mini Coopers one sees at Eden Roc or Isle de France -going too fast for a photo. I do not know for certain if they spent the night, but I suspect that they did.

A line of boats passed our villa view headed back to Sr Martin this morning. Glad they did not try to sail after partying so heartily!

I think they had a private party at Bonito that night - I couldn't get reservations because they were closed for a private party and when drving past Bonito to go to dinner at the Wall House I noticed some flags with Cyrillic writing on them.

We did walk past all of those identical Sunsail boats after dinner.

We had no idea that the Wall House 'hopped' later in the night. We are always there on the early shift when things are more subdued. Was this necessarily a special occasion or is the Wall House an 'in' night spot?

P1010138.JPG

Looks like the Russians and their flotilla all made roll call this morning.

When did the Russians start coming to SBH en masse (on a relative basis)? That Russian SBH magazine has been published for about 3 years now, hasn't it. Was it all started by RA buying Governeur or where they coming before that?

There were 2 Russian regattas that week in St Martin / St Barths. RBC Regatta, comprising 25 Sunsail / Moorings boats were in St Barths 18th - 20th March. The 1st night's dinner was at Bonito's followed by a lay-day party at Nikki Beach. RBC is the biggest media news corporation in Russia & this was the 7th edition of this regatta, although the 1st time in St Martin / St Barths. I was part of the Race Committee for the event & went to the opening & closing dinners; they were amazing. The other regatta was, I think, called "Fun & Sail". We were only aware of it as one night both fleets were on the dock at Marina Fort Louis in Marigot, Yep, over 40 Russian boats. That was interesting! There has been a dramatic increase in Russians coming to sail in Caribbean over the last few years. At St Maarten Heineken Regatta 5 years ago, there were only a handful of Russian entries. This year there were 60. I asked 1 of the competitors about this & he said that sailing was perceived as a healthy manly outdoor activity, much like skiing, plus the Caribbean offers some of the best sailing conditions in the World during the Winter months. Maybe there has also been an easing of Visa requirements as well? Needless to say, the RBC competitors loved St Barths & I wouldn't be surprised if they were back here next year.

Deb, welcome to the forum and thanks for this insider perspective! Sounds and looks like quite an event!