Nest thermostats (or Ecobee)

Bart -my real name-

Senior Insider
I know some of you early adopters were excited by the idea of the Nest thermostats a couple of years ago.

Did anyone get one? What are your thoughts?

I just checked Amazon and the 1st three reviews are pretty bad and they're from some knowledgeable people. There's a lot of detail too, (not just "it sucks").

Does anyone have any experience with Ecobee? One of the professional installers who gave a very detailed but negative review of Nest said he couldn't recommend Nest but he highly recommends Ecobee.

We have the Nest... I only like it for the ability to operate the thermostat remotely from my iPhone- i.e. when I'm at home upstairs or in the basement. I do not like its "learning" function where it tries to learn your preferences and set a schedule by them. I actually cut it off from performing that function! So, we basically have a cool-looking, remote controlled thermostat for $250...

Sorry, this one just came out.
[h=2]GE-backed Quirky Aros is a window air conditioner with Nest smarts, controlled by iPhone[/h]
4403f5bde9b9dd1799eda1756139557d
Zac Hall
23 HOURS, 51 MINUTES AGO

quirky-aros-mainnohand-2-lg-3.jpg

Finally some much needed smart appliance love for those without central air conditioning (and it’ll keep you cool): the Quirky Aros. Backed by GE, the New York-based start-up Quirky has combined the traditional window A/C unit with some very modern technologies to create the Nest (smart thermostat) of window air conditioners at a particularly reasonable price. On the surface, the Aros is an 8,000 BTU window A/C unit (rated to cool 350 square feet) with an almost Apple-like exterior (it looks as good as any window A/C unit I could imagine). Throw in touch capacitive buttons, Wi-Fi, and an iPhone and Android app for adjusting remotely and you’ve got your smart window air conditioner. The smartphone app doesn’t just let you control the temperature remotely…

I had three nests, but had to swap two out when I installed new Carrier system that use their own protocol to communicate with the outside units. The Carrier thermostat is necessary to control the two-stage nature of the A/C and furnace. I'll send you a free Nest to try! Easy to self install too. In your building (1901) today for a meeting but didn't have time for a coffee. Next time.