Les Bananiers for Dinner

rivertrash

Senior Insider
I have been wanting to try this restaurant in Colombier for years and finally went last night. My wife and I were both very impressed.

We started with appetizers of a delicious goat cheese salad (the greens, endive and red and yellow bell peppers more like a chopped salad) and an excellent tuna tataki with three sauces.

My wife ordered a vegetarian pizza (seems pizza is sort of their claim to fame) that was excellent. Sauteed sweetbreads was a menu item that is not seen that often on menus here, so I went for it and was glad I did. The sweetbreads were tender without being mushy and the Sauternes sauce, although a little too sweet for my taste, had enough tartness to be delicious.

We finished with a banana crumble with vanilla ice cream and a tiramisu. Both desserts were delicious and there were no leftovers.

Les Bananiers is a real treat. The setting is casual and very local. There was only one other table of "foreigners" and there were several obviously local families with their kids. Service was extremely friendly and prompt. Prices appear to be probably 30-40% less than what we have been paying for similar quality. We will definitely return on our next trip.

Yes, and a lot of locals eat there-a good sign.

Pizza preparations and a real chef prepares very good food and served by a friendly staff.

The only information I could find is at a website called stbartslive.com. If you go there and search around you can find menus and other information.

Thanks Amy . . . I'll have to go there on a Wednesday (when La Gloriette and Santa Fe are closed!).

We've always like LB, and every year we do pick up from there at least once. They usually have conch fritters on the menu and they are our favorite of any we've ever had (and we've tried many in Florida).

Yep...on that side of the island, Les Bananiers and Au Regal are always on our must do list.

Off the radar screen for many resto folks. They do a big plate du jour business for lunch. Many long term winter season friends of ours frequent this spot for dine in or take away meals. Friendly service nice portions and very reasonable SBH prices. If you see their lasagna listed in the paper as a plat du jour swing by and get some. kr